I Forge Iron

100# Little Giant Power Hammer

I am now the proud owner of an old style LG 100# hammer! It is in great shape but has not run in years. I have looked at many pictures of 100 pounders but have not seen one set up the same way - clutch on the back outside like the new style. serial number 354. was this a 'transition' hammer? Any tips, wisdom, or information would be very welcom.

Go to the Little Giant web site: www.littlegianthammer.com . Sid will answer any and all questions you have. Also: There is a blacksmith in Butte, Montana from whom I bought a rebuilt LG 25#,who has a nice LG 100#. He could probably show you stuff hands on.His name is Scott Espelin and his business is Wild West Iron Works...

I have done many of those conversions as I rebuild a hammer if the shaft needs replaced due to wear
I make a shaft longer to stick out the back. then you don't have to remove the top shaft to replace
the belts. All the parts ( clutch spider, pulley and shifting fork) just turn around and go on the rear
also makes clutch maintance easier. I suspect this is a retro fit and a darned good one.
As far as the 50 with the V-belt gooves, there was a factory part offerd later as an option.
Some people ordered the part and installed on their hammers.

Go to the Little Giant web site: www.littlegianthammer.com . Sid will answer any and all questions you have. Also: There is a blacksmith in Butte, Montana from whom I bought a rebuilt LG 25#,who has a nice LG 100#. He could probably show you stuff hands on.His name is Scott Espelin and his business is Wild West Iron Works...

I have been on the little giant site alot and did speak with Kerry on the phone. She told me that the pully was installed on the rear of the shaft at the factory when a hammer (not sure if that goes for the 100 only or for all sizes) was sold with a motor installed. The serial number was not on the books for some reason which she says happened only a few times in the company's history. I guess it is a magical mystery hammer! The numbers recorded before and after put it in May of 1918. An old fellow asked me what i was doing with it as i unloaded it. I told him that i was going to restore it and use it. He said to me "aaah, that old piece of s--t isn't worth messin' with, you'd be better off taking it to the scap yard."

Don't ya just want to slap people like that?

Just off hand what would you think it is wroth? The hammer was 'operational' when the smith that i bought it from aquired it but he never set it up so it sat for several years. I have freed everything up and all seems well but i have not really started to crack into it. i ordered a spring and new adjustable toggle links. i have a 5hp motor ready to go and a friend who has the equipment is making me a flat belt. I am going to swing a new set of dies soon and might need to do some work on the clutch. Every thing else is there and in good order including the factory cast iron motor mount. realistically i think i will have 4,200.00 in it when i put it to work. Obviously the hammer will pay for itself many many times over so even if it was not a bargin....and things like this vary wildly from this part of the world to that. I have never been able to find a 100# fore sale - let alone 65 miles down the road and in my very low price range (once in a lifetime opportunity for me, almost lost hope but glad i held out) - so i am really curious what they are going for. Maybe i'll take it down to the scrap yard and see what they'll give :)

$4,200 for a 100 lb Little Giant sounds about right for an operational one, so you didn't get hurt, and yes you should be able to make it pay for itself so that's all good. As scrap it's about $300 - $400.

Good to know. Thank you. This hammer will go to the scrap yard over my dead body :)

I just got back from Sid and Keri's class on rebuilding LG hammers. Great class, fantastic hosts. All the others in the class were wonderful people too.
He does have a $95 DVD on rebuilding that is top notch as a class won't come around until next March. Of course as you have already experienced they will answer all sorts of questions and have expertise to offer.

I bought a 25# that needs rebuilt and am now assembling all the materials for the rebuild. Glad I took the class, I feel ready to take on the task.

I just got back from Sid and Keri's class on rebuilding LG hammers. Great class, fantastic hosts. All the others in the class were wonderful people too.
He does have a $95 DVD on rebuilding that is top notch as a class won't come around until next March. Of course as you have already experienced they will answer all sorts of questions and have expertise to offer.

I bought a 25# that needs rebuilt and am now assembling all the materials for the rebuild. Glad I took the class, I feel ready to take on the task.

I ordered the dvd with my parts and watched it right away. it was top notch. the credit given to Fred Caylor was top notch. Keri was extreamly helpful and honest with me on the phone. i think it is great to have people that really give a beep about what they are doing and understand that they are part of a big thing - sorry, a little giant thing. i spent countless hours in front of a 25# in my first years as an apprentice and what a great hammer. tried to buy it several times but no luck. ended up with 354. best of luck to you with your 'new' hammer and the rebuild! do you know its' history? please share. i will send some pictures of my journey for sure.

Which scrapyard and How's your health? Can I buy you a deep fried mars bar? (it helps to leave your inheritors an idea of what stuff is worth so they don't fall for the "I'll clean out your garage for a couple of hundred dollars scam...)

Thomas, I have read alot of posts and replies to posts on this forum and over time. i have learned to pay close attention to a few members who have more than just rice to throw. you are one of those. thank you. you were spot on with the clutch position. not sure which scap yard - forgive me but i will be deceased. deep fried mars bar sounds interesting but redundant. my health is great but my garage is only kinda clean. take care

I have an old friend who over the years kept filling up his *mother's* garage with his "toys"---Bridgeport mill, Southbend heavy 10, large anvil...

Anyway I kept threating to wait until he had annoyed her and then to show up in my battered pick-up wearing my grungies and offer to clean out her garage for $50---shoot I'd even offer her $100! When he moved about 2000 miles away would have been a good time to try that one! (Unfortunately I was 1500 miles away by then...)

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the 100 ponder! They are great hammers. I have two, use them hard and love them both. I rebuilt the first 100 lber 12-13 years ago and bought the second one (brand new) from Sid last summer.:)

Sid and Kerri are two of the finest people on the planet. Dave Sloan is another, he's usually helping with the rebuild class.