I Forge Iron

wire EDM

Old N Rusty

• 5 months later...

Wire edm is not able to do what you are describing. Think of it as a VERY precise pattern torch.
Rob

Perhaps I failed to adequately communicate, ... in a thorough, and concise fashion, ... or made erroneous assumptions about the frame of reference of the readers.

A wire EDM is perfectly capable of burning multiple holes in the "core" of a broken tap, ... effectively destroying it's structural integrity, ... and allowing you to easily shatter, and pick out the bits and pieces of broken tap, ... without inflicting further damage to the surrounding part.

Certainly a "sinker" EDM, ... or "tap burner", ... is a good choice as well, ... but it's not nearly as quick, or inexpensive, as a wire electrode.

Perhaps I failed to adequately communicate, ... in a thorough, and concise fashion, ... or made erroneous assumptions about the frame of reference of the readers.

A wire EDM is perfectly capable of burning multiple holes in the "core" of a broken tap, ... effectively destroying it's structural integrity, ... and allowing you to easily shatter, and pick out the bits and pieces of broken tap, ... without inflicting further damage to the surrounding part.

Certainly a "sinker" EDM, ... or "tap burner", ... is a good choice as well, ... but it's not nearly as quick, or inexpensive, as a wire electrode.

For large "through" hole that might work great as long as you can thread the wire through. For blind hole (the most common to be tapping) there is nothing like a sinker. "not nearly as quick, or inexpensive"? I'd use a piece of 1/4" brass tube to burn out a 3/8 tap in less than 5 minutes. EDM wire ain't cheap either.

There's no need to "thread the wire through" anything.

You use the end of the rotating wire, to burn straight down into a blind hole, ... just like with a sinker machine.

I'm not saying this is an EASY, or foolproof method, ... because getting broken taps out of blind holes is NEVER easy.

And in a "perfect world" there's always a "better" way .....

But the thread was about the usefulness of wire EDM .....

BTW ..... This is NOT speculation, ... I've done this very thing, ... dozens of times, ... over a 40 year span.

Please turn down the volume. I've been using EDMs for nearly that long and I've never seen a wire EDM machine that could do that. Are you talking about a "hole popper"? Not done with any standard wire EDM (to my knowledge) as the hair-thin wire has to be stretched tight. Certainly not a standard feature on wire EDMs. Never seen a "rotating wire" either. How does it do that when it's attached to the roll?

Take a picture! Notice I don't say "it can't be done", show me.

One of my friends here has a wire edm in his shop and you must thread the wire through the part if you do not want to cut in from the edge. He has done some extremely tiny parts with incredible precision. The video Grant posted is very informative of the process. Near the end they show what I think smoothbore is talking about- small hole edm with a rotating pipe electrode for doing blind holes. Thanks for the video Grant.
Rob

No, it's not a "Hole Popper".

The EDM shop that I use, has 2 Hole Poppers that they absolutely love, and use them for holes over 1/4".

But the machine I'm talking about, holds about a 2' or 3' length of wire, ( cut from the roll ) vertically, in 2 small collets.

It charges the wire, through the top collet, and feeds it straight down, ... while rotating, ... just like a vertical mill can feed the quill.

It burns a hole slightly bigger than the diameter of the wire.

Several of those holes, burned down through the center of a #6 x 32 tap, and some light blows on a small pin punch, will crumble the tap into pieces that will blow out of the blind hole, with a couple blasts of compressed air.

It's saved my butt on numerous occasions. :D

But the machine I'm talking about, holds about a 2' or 3' length of wire, ( cut from the roll ) vertically, in 2 small collets.
It charges the wire, through the top collet, and feeds it straight down, ... while rotating, ... just like a vertical mill can feed the quill.
It burns a hole slightly bigger than the diameter of the wire.

Cool, I did not know those machines could do that. Learned something good today, thanks.
Rob