I Forge Iron

German Coppersmith video

Messerist

A very nice finnished piece that must of taken several days to finish
Wonder why he wieghed it at the end to see how much material was used to calculate the price.
In the vid he was tinning a pot but that was not the large finished piece.
Also he soldered on what appeared to be a handle as it was not a foot as the vessel did not sit flat on the scale. He was using this in the planishing process was that to pour material out when the food was cooked. If you tinned the finnished piece would you need higher temp solder to do the seams and handle he soldered in the manufacturing.

Also too bad I dont undrstand German

I thought the soldered-on handle was just something to hold onto while he worked.

When he joined the ends of his blank to make the tube, and then again when he fastened on the bottom: it looked like he brazed the with a paste of copper filings and borax. Did I see that right? I've heard of brazing silver using silver filings, so I assume you could do it with copper as well. But it sure sounds tricky -- a lot more so than he made it look!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great video. I love seeing the shops from other countries and how they have everything set up. The foot he soldered on in the end was actually just a handle for planishing the vessel. And i think that he used brass filings mixed with borax as the solder/flux solution. So really he was just brazing the seams together. As for tinning the pot the solder used would be more than enough to hold together while tinning. Tin melts somewhere around 400 deg. i think so the brazed seam would be fine.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great video!!! Having had copper plumbing joints fail. I've always cleaned my copper to a compulsive level when joining and tinning. He seemed to get away with oxidation on his joints. I wonder what was mixed with the Borax? And what did he put on the outside of the bowl he tinned? I'm assuming the filler was a lower melting temp alloy of copper. Boy, I wish I spoke German or had a German friend to translate.....

• 4 months later...