I Forge Iron

Modification to hofi hood

I've enjoyed the use of my Hofi hood that I built for my forge! It is very nice, as it does not obstruct the view of the firepot and I haven't burned my hand on it at all like I have with forges that had larger side-draught hoods.

However, it is still a bit windy in our shop at times because we are still in the process of removing and replacing sideing, and we also have four, 10-14 foot openings that don't have doors yet. (One of which is right next to my forge!) The slightest bit of wind in the shop throws the draught out and I have smoke problems.

I took some scrap steel and started closing the hood off a little at a time. I just kept adding pieces to close it off more and more to see what got the best pull.
After I'd experimented for a while I came up with about an 8"x10" opening, give or take some.
Then I got some sheet metal and made a nicer "church window" front for my hood. There is a 5 inch tab that sits on top of the hood and is bolted down through the hood.

I get EXCELLENT draught from this and I would reccomend its use or the use of a similar device on any Hofi hood.

DSC00475.jpg

Thoughts???

Thats almost exactly the same size opening we use. Ours isnt exactly a side sucker as our pipe comes out of the top instead of the back but it draws just as well..Works a whole lot better than a over the top hood, thats for sure..

I'm not sure right of on square inches!
Let's see, the hood is the reccomended 14 inches square. That comes to 196 square inches, per inch of hood! That come out to aproximately 9408 square inches for my entire hood. My hood is 4 feet long on the bottom, 4 feet 4 inches on top. (That's for a four inch overhang next to the hood!)

The "church window" cut out, is 8 inches wide and 10 inches tall, which comes to 80 square inches, BUT the church window shape cuts that down a good bit. I started the curve of the church window, three inches down from the 10 inch mark.

Now that, that is all clear as mud, maybe I'll go draw it and then post a picture! :)

Are those numbers what you need Mr. Glenn?

I made a second one of these for a friend who adopted the Hofi hood at my reccomendation. However, he did not do the cleaning door on the other side of his hood, so he needs to be able to access the inside of the hood from the front, easily.
So the one I made him is identical but has a hinged front so that it can be opened. It has two tabs on the lower part for pins to hold it in place while in use! Remove the pins, flip it open, and clean the hood!

Here is a diagram of how I made my front. This is a straight-on, front view. The outer black rim is the hood. The red outer rim is the added front. The red "church window" is the opening. The blue lines are the measurements. This drawing is to scale!

hofihoodopeningdiagram.png

P.S. I do realize that it looks like the hood is drawn taller than it is wide, however, I drew it on graph to scale so I think it is just a visual effect.

Glad you liked it!

I installed another one of these in a friend's forge today. He said it definately increased his draught from what it was before. This one is hinged so it can be opened for hood cleaning!

My friend has one of the cyclone type vents on his flue pipe so I told him to try it without the vent and see what that did to the draught. It'd be good to get some back to back experiments there too.

Here is this one installed on my friend's hood!

DSC00577.jpg

My friend and I after a day's forging!
DSC00576.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...