I Forge Iron

Can You Do This In One Heat

That reminds me of watching them make rings in the Mare Island Naval Shipyard forge shop during a family day. They had some big steam hammers that were fun to watch. Could drive a large solid plug into a billet to get the hole started in one hit, or gently tap the ring on a bick to get the final thickness. Extremely controllable, and very experienced operators. When they were hitting hard the whole floor would shake.

Its amazing what noise levels a human can endure while working in one of these shops. I was just at my local suppliers and had a 20 minute wait for material to be loaded, no earplugs and I was ready to get out of there after the first 5 minutes. Doesn't seem to bother me in my own shop espicially with the music on 10 :D

I take a lot of precautions with my hearing now. When I was younger I didn't know any better. If you have ringing in your ears you have done irreversible damage. Tinnitus is an accumulated problem. The ringing goes away until one day it doesn't quite fade, from then on it just gets louder. I am to that point now where it is slowly getting louder. I wear earplugs all day at work, but the high pitch whine off 36 machines that have multiple spindles running up to 14,000+ rpm still get some damage done, in spite of NRR33 ear plugs. The rule of thumb is, if you are 2 feet away from someone, and you have to raise your voice due to noise, you need hearing protection.

I take a lot of precautions with my hearing now. When I was younger I didn't know any better. If you have ringing in your ears you have done irreversible damage. Tinnitus is an accumulated problem. The ringing goes away until one day it doesn't quite fade, from then on it just gets louder. I am to that point now where it is slowly getting louder. I wear earplugs all day at work, but the high pitch whine off 36 machines that have multiple spindles running up to 14,000+ rpm still get some damage done, in spite of NRR33 ear plugs. The rule of thumb is, if you are 2 feet away from someone, and you have to raise your voice due to noise, you need hearing protection.

"what did you say"...I worked for the phone company for 38 years listening to all the relay chatter...wasn't that loud ; today my ears ring all the time ...it not just the loud noise!

One of the other things that folks don`t realize is that long term exposure to certain frequencies can and does lead to bone loss/porosity and the resulting damage to soft tissue can be devastating.I know this because I had to go thru 6+ surgeries to repair this type of damage and had some of the top orthopedic guys in the US working on me.During the visits to hospitals in Boston I learned a lot of facts that were too late to help me.That was one of them.
The guys out on the runways of airports of the flight decks of aircraft carriers ground guiding the planes and folks in the engine rooms of ships all used double and triple ear protection to protect their ears but that vibration is still being felt,absorbed and transmitted throughout their bodies by the skeletal system and after a while the damage is done despite the best hearing protection.

One of the other things that folks don`t realize is that long term exposure to certain frequencies can and does lead to bone loss/porosity and the resulting damage to soft tissue can be devastating.I know this because I had to go thru 6+ surgeries to repair this type of damage and had some of the top orthopedic guys in the US working on me.During the visits to hospitals in Boston I learned a lot of facts that were too late to help me.That was one of them.
The guys out on the runways of airports of the flight decks of aircraft carriers ground guiding the planes and folks in the engine rooms of ships all used double and triple ear protection to protect their ears but that vibration is still being felt,absorbed and transmitted throughout their bodies by the skeletal system and after a while the damage is done despite the best hearing protection.

Dang Bob why didn't ya post this in the 60s. 4 tours wearing a green shirt on LPHs. Always thought it was all the
rounds fired. Huh say what? The only time we wore headphones was to check radios.Semper Fi to all of mine and thanks to all the rest who have been there done that or are doing it.
Ken.

Gents,

This is some of the most amazing forging I have ever seen.

As to the hearing thing - I lost most of mine to military gas turbines, lots of shooting and other loud stuff. Got tinnitus in the form of a 4kHz whistle. Started wearing hearing aids (in the ear type) which, in my case delete the tinnitus!

But I also wear noise-cancelling headphones whenever required these days.

My dad was a Plane Captain and Plane Mechanic in the Navy back in the late 60s (the Fort Ticonderoga). Then he spent most of his career in loud "factory" settings, most of my life working for Tektronix and Merrix here in the Pacific NW.

He now has behind the ear hearing aids which have helped the most and is still working to get better through the VA. Without them, he doesn't hear my voice very well because I have a lower voice and that is the range that is most damaged. When I was in High School and College at the end of the 80s, he never quite heard my instrument very well either, the Tuba.

Also speaking of Golf courses, he used to play a lot of golf and one of the favorite 'in' jokes with him and some of his work buddies (similar backgrounds) was "I think I heard it splash" when any of them would have been lucky to hear it, figuratively speaking, hit them in the head. :lol::blink:;)

Best regards,
Tim

PS - for all those who put their lives and health on the line, from the last of our WWII vets to those coming home today, Thank You.

Lost a lot of hearing in my left ear due to a muzzle breaked heavy barrel target rifle. Muzzle breaks decrease recoil and increase the volume exponetially in the process..Setting in a small range house and forgot to put my ears on..It ruptured my left ear drum when the sound reverberated off the wall of the range house.