I Forge Iron

Unknown vice

Lukas Jacobs

dint know what the holes are for ... they are missing the mounting hardware and spring to hold open the jaws .. you can build um i dont have a handy picture of what they look like but shouldnt be a problem to find a picture .. not to hard to build ... the one on left the bolt and nut are replacement probably should look at recent thread about how to fix that ... good find if ya got um for scrap price!

Older vises often had a tanged mounting bracket that went through a hole a bit under the screw opening and the spring alos had a hole in it and fit over the tanged bracket and then a wedge through the tang held the whole kit and caboodle together. Is this what yiu were asking about?

I just recently made a replacement bracket and spring for one of these but I use a retaining clip instead of a wedge to hold it together as it's my travel vise.

Mounted it to the workbench my Y1K forge sits on yesterday...

You can, of course, retrofit a more modern "wrap around bracket to an older vise if you want to.

The oddball vise is an unknown, although the beefy beam with the multiple rivets may indicate that it is from the European continent. Most old German anvils had a small projection, an "anvil" protruding from the back of the fixed jaw. It was used a little like the way we use an London pattern anvil step (drop), a vee block to work against. I don't understand the two rectangular holes.

As mentioned, the vise on the right looks like a nice Peter Wright.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Upon further inspection I'm going to make a speculation. I see a line on the side of the movable jaw perhaps the sign that it was drop forged. Also it looks exactly the same as the back jaw. Perhaps they only had one die set to make the jaws and they needed that mortise on the back to mount it so it got put in the front too. The bottom of back jaw got drawn out into the leg and the front jaws bottom end got forged into the pivot. I could be wrong its just a guess.

I keep looking at the vise and thinking that if the nut had a shouldered "tail" welded to it that could curve and fit the hole, it could be wedged inside the leg to hold it in place. I'm thinking maybe a low hydrogen rod would be strong enough.

Alternatively, to protect the projecting threads, the nut could be welded inside the end of a pipe, creating a "screw box." A boss/stop could be welded or brazed along the pipe length, as we see with most screw boxes.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools