I Forge Iron

Anvil Stand Help

Hello.
My first anvil is coming tommoro and i still havn't found a suitable stand. My father's friend donated this anvil to me. All I know thus far is that it weighs 250 pound and has its weight stamped on the side in big letters. Not sure who made it yet. (will post pics when it arrives tommoro). Anyway, back on track, i need to find or manufacture a stand ASAP. Where would I find a suitable tree stump? there are no logging places near us. The best place i can think of is the vegitaion section of the local scrapyard. Is there a quick stand I can make/find that will hold this beast of an anvil for the time being until I weld up a propper one, or find a good hardwood tree stump? thanks for any suggestions.

Try a tree trimming company. Tell them the diameter and length that you need. Be sure that the length has maybe an extra 4- 6" so that you can true up the ends. The tree guys are not likely to cut log sections square and parallel.

Where I live the county/city collects storm debris after storms . you might try them as well. There is a thread that deals with using a router to true up stump ends if you are not an artist with a chain saw this may be helpful.

The final length should be such that the anvil is knuckle height ( standing straight ) when installed.

Search this site, using the search feature. There are hundreds of anvil stands described here. Some are better than others of course. Things to consider; it should be heavy, it should hold the anvil very securely, it should support the anvil very well (not flex).

One type of stand ive seen a few times that acutely can turn out pretty well if care is taken is to use 4 or maybe 9 6by6's. I have seen people glue the seams and clamp them together, then run a lag bolt from one to another. If the lag bolts you have can only reach from on to another then you might have to slowly piece it together one joint at a time. then maybe collar all the pieces together with some flat bar.

good luck

One type of stand ive seen a few times that acutely can turn out pretty well if care is taken is to use 4 or maybe 9 6by6's. I have seen people glue the seams and clamp them together, then run a lag bolt from one to another. If the lag bolts you have can only reach from on to another then you might have to slowly piece it together one joint at a time. then maybe collar all the pieces together with some flat bar.

good luck

This my first anvil and stand I made out of 6x6s like Mlmartin15 suggested. It has served me well for 12 years and counting. Even though it just yard art now

post-6037-0-43856600-1292708170_thumb.jp

Thanks for all the suggestion. I was pushed for time and did not get to reading them. I ended up laying 6 bessa bricks down and putting 2 wide peices of wood on top, creating a large surface area. then 3 more bricks and 1 big plank. its pretty sturdy but wobbles a little when i do some bending of heavy material on the horn. BTW, I dont think the anvil is 250 pounds. on the side is printed in spaced out numbers: 2 0 2L. Not sure what this means. i also found a very small H stamped into the front end of the feet. the 202L is fairly small as well. I suspect the 202 is its weight in pounds. maybe they forgot to add the B onto LB to indicate pounds because its no there. just L. it has a decent ring to it and has a minor dip on the face where it has been worn down. I am over to moon about it though. this unlock me to even more things I can make!!!!

If someone can ID this anvil, that would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks

Hey Anvil Fire777,
First congratulations on the new (new to you) anvil! Christmas came early for you! Second send pictures of your anvil, it helps in the ID of it. With the wieght on the side "202" it sounds like the hundred weight system Hundred weight system
On anvils the first number is a hundred weight or 112 pounds. Second number would be quarter hundred weight or 28 pounds. And the last number would be in single pounds or 1 pound.
In your case 2 0 2 ,
2 =112 + 112= 224
0 = 0
2 = 2
Total 226
After i post this I'll dig into AIA and see where it talks about "H" stamped on the feet.

Anyway Nothing better than free stuff, hope this helps Chad

Possibly a Peter Wright Anvil

post-14980-0-18970300-1292793547_thumb.jInteresting.... well, here are some pics to help out
post-14980-0-38303400-1292793339_thumb.j
post-14980-0-20703400-1292793466_thumb.j

Iam also not sure if this anvil is wrought iron with steel face. Is there any tests i can do without lifting the darn thing? it has a ring but it is pretty dull and the ring is short. porbaly because the base i have it on is not solid. It has good rebound. I can drop a 2lb hammar from about 6 inches and the head will bounce around like a peice of rubber on the anvil face.

What kind is it?---The *good* kind!

Probably not a PW (no ledges on the feet, sharp ridge going down to the feet), but there are about 200 other english brands with that look as well. Here in the USA we see a lot of Mouseholes; but they tend to look a bit more squat---more sweet spot with iron all the way down on them.

It looks like there is a steel face on it---clearly shows up in the pics---DON'T THIN IT!

@ TomasPowers, What do you mean by "dont thin it" do you mean not to take any more material of the surface?
The only work i have donr on this anvil so far is sand with 120grit the numbers to reveal them. i also gave the face a quick run over as it has alot og dirt and grot on it. do you think i should clean this anvil right up?
Also, where i live it is very wet (tropics). things tent to rust easily. what can i do to keep the rust of when iam not using it? any ideas anyone?. I think i might start an "Anvil ID" thread for this one. thanks for all your help everyone who posted, very much appreciated

@ TomasPowers, What do you mean by "dont thin it" do you mean not to take any more material of the surface?
The only work i have donr on this anvil so far is sand with 120grit the numbers to reveal them. i also gave the face a quick run over as it has alot og dirt and grot on it. do you think i should clean this anvil right up?
Also, where i live it is very wet (tropics). things tent to rust easily. what can i do to keep the rust of when iam not using it? any ideas anyone?. I think i might start an "Anvil ID" thread for this one. thanks for all your help everyone who posted, very much appreciated

Grease. And by don't thin it, Thomas means don't sand the top-plate. The best way to clean a dirty or rusty anvil is to use it.

• 11 months later...