I Forge Iron

good deal?

I have a guy who wants my 186 lbs Peter Wright (pic below) for a 100lbs anvil (dont know the brand yet) a 80lbs bag of coke and $400, i payed $300 for my anvil and love it dose it sound like a good deal to u guys have only been forging for 4 months and have a small coal forge
thanks
Josh

I think it is a good deal. If you want a smaller anvil and don;t mind giving up the anvil you have. $400 a 80# bag of coke and the 100# anvil in trade for the PW anvil you paid $300 for depending on the condition of the new anvil and just how attached you are to the PW. I would go for it.

keep in mind this is just my opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions...

Where are you at in your life and the craft? A 100# anvil of decent brand in decent using shape is a whole lot easier to move than a 186 pound anvil. Also if you do a lot of demos where you have to take your kit on the road a 100# anvil is a good blend of heavy/light. I would not look at the money part of the equation because it sounds like it would go right into the "buy another PW" savings account.

However if you are "set" and won't move around much and tend to do heavier work then the bigger anvil may be what you need more than the money.

I once traded a 125# PW for a 407# Trenton needing quite a bit of TLC, (there was a postvise screw and screwbox and $100 in on the trade as well), as the fellow who had it still wanted to have an anvil but was really tired of having to arrange a crew to load/unload the big anvil every time he moved and couldn't bring it on the road with him.

When I moved from OH to NM 6 months before the rest of the family and the household/shop stuff moved. I took along a 93# anvil so I would have something to work on---I was moving into a 2300 sq ft house to live there half a year with only what I could load on my small pickup---took all my camping gear and "camped out" in our new house! If I had taken the 400# anvil I'd have to cut back on things like clothes, books, pots and pans, etc.

i am still learning and i dont demo, i am 14 and live with my parents so i will be here for another 4 years and i absolutley love my current anvil i cant decide but now i think im going to keep my anvil as it is the only Peter Wright of this weight i have ever seen and the man that offered me the deal was really exited and he is a pro farrier and has been doing this for 20 years and that tells me it is a good anvil so in short, im going to keep it

I have a guy who wants my 186 lbs Peter Wright (pic below) for a 100lbs anvil (dont know the brand yet) a 80lbs bag of coke and $400, i payed $300 for my anvil and love it dose it sound like a good deal to u guys have only been forging for 4 months and have a small coal forge
thanks
Josh

Are you sure you actually have a Peter Wright there? There does not appear to be the "trademark" step on the feet. ( I use a 176 Lb PW at work and have a 278Lb'er at home). Perhaps it has markings that you can see "Wright" or part of it? If so it may be az Henry Wright(Peter's brother) and might be more valuable...
Bear

I respectfully dissent.

Whether this is a good deal or not will depend on the quality of the 100 pound anvil. Does it have excellent rebound or is it "dead?" Is it in great shape or is it an ugly hunk of crap? And very very importantly: will you like working on the 100 pounder as much as you like working on your PW?

Have a look at this beauty: http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G8148-100-lb-Anvil/dp/B0000DD714

Also: Anvils are worth more in some areas and less in others. Did you get a smokin' deal on that Peter Wright? Here in the PNW it might be worth as much as $550. In Ohio it might only go for $200. What is the going rate in YOUR location?

Are you sure you actually have a Peter Wright there? There does not appear to be the "trademark" step on the feet. ( I use a 176 Lb PW at work and have a 278Lb'er at home). Perhaps it has markings that you can see "Wright" or part of it? If so it may be az Henry Wright(Peter's brother) and might be more valuable...
Bear

it says on the side "peter wright patent" and it dose have the step this is just a bad picture

I respectfully dissent.

Whether this is a good deal or not will depend on the quality of the 100 pound anvil. Does it have excellent rebound or is it "dead?" Is it in great shape or is it an ugly hunk of crap? And very very importantly: will you like working on the 100 pounder as much as you like working on your PW?

Have a look at this beauty: http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G8148-100-lb-Anvil/dp/B0000DD714

Also: Anvils are worth more in some areas and less in others. Did you get a smokin' deal on that Peter Wright? Here in the PNW it might be worth as much as $550. In Ohio it might only go for $200. What is the going rate in YOUR location?

well iv had 4 offers on it this has been the best and iv had 6 farrier / blacksmith vetrans that say they had $1000 saved for one and then settled for less and the guy that made this offer said it was worth $1000 i got it for $300 and i think im going to keep it because i want to look at it in when i am 60 and say, wow
i could always buy a smaller one if i needed it but id be hard pressed to find another PW in my area of this size, if anyone with a collection was to move to my area the'd be rich, i know 4 junior smiths looking with deep pockets that want to buy local

said it was worth $1000

For the sake of argument, let's assume the estimate of $1000 for a 186# usable condition name-brand anvil is accurate. This would make the 100# anvil worth about $540 IF it is name brand and in usable condition. Difference is $460.

Does an 80# bag of coke go for $60 where you live? If so, the deal is a fair deal. Not a great deal or a poor deal, but an equitable deal.

I think you would be wise to keep your Peter Wright. Just smile sagely and tell 'em you're not done with it yet. ;)

A tool that feels good to use has more than just monetary value.

For the sake of argument, let's assume the estimate of $1000 for a 186# usable condition name-brand anvil is accurate. This would make the 100# anvil worth about $540 IF it is name brand and in usable condition. Difference is $460.

Does an 80# bag of coke go for $60 where you live? If so, the deal is a fair deal. Not a great deal or a poor deal, but an equitable deal.

I think you would be wise to keep your Peter Wright. Just smile sagely and tell 'em you're not done with it yet. ;)

A tool that feels good to use has more than just monetary value.

i buy 50lb bags of coal for $10 so that would make the coke worth $15 (give or take) and for the sake of argument it saves tome so $20 and that is $40 differance but like you last line said, this anvil FEELS good to use and like iv said multiple times i want to liik at it when im 60 and say, wow and turn around and sell the 180 year old anvil for 2 grand :)