I Forge Iron

keeping anvil warm

Did a search but didn't find much. In cold weather how do or do you keep your anvil warm over night or until the next time you use it.
Most times I only have a couple of hours to play. My shop isn't heated so my anvil is quite cold and it takes awhile to get it warmed up
by placing big pieces of hot metal on it and uses a little extra coal.

Just wondering if there is a good way (cheap) to keep it warm.

Billy

In the winter I use a propane forge in the garage, my anvil is in front of it, a bit higher and a foot away. leaves enough room to put stuff in the forge and it heats the anvil. I let it run about 10 minutes or so on low before using. Keeps the anvil warm enough. BUT I have not tried it at below zero temps, dont think I will!

If you are the type who can plan ahead(that aint me) you can throw an electric blanket(from Goodwill) over it and plug the blanket into a timer.
The few times I tried this I ended up not going out to the shop and even went out of town for a few days once.
Gotta go before SWMBO sees this and deducts the electric bill from my allowance. :o

Keeping things warm that only see intermittent use is often a waste of energy.
A timer and an electric iron would be a good way to go especially if you can set a stop time as well as a start time on it.

Me I usually heat a slab of steel as the propane forge is warming up and place on the anvil. I often have a non-critical project to work on while waiting for the forge, anvil and tools to come up to good working temps.

Thanks for all the replys.
Yeah, I don't think would I really what to leave something plugged in my shop. Likes been said, Might be to much Heat.
I guess heating up big pieces of metal seems the way and from you fellows the most popular way.
I just get in to big of a hurry sometimes.

Thanks
Billy

Think about working on a knife blade that's often made from alloys with a limited forging range---hitting it "too cold" can ruin the blade; now with an icy anvil you might get *1* hammer blow with each heat cycle; however you still get the scale losses, decarburization and possible grain growth with each heat cycle. A warm anvil can make the job *much* faster!

Also *very* cold anvils are more prone to damage. I have a friend who knocked the heel off the family anvil, (he was third generation using it IIRC), when it was quite cold and he wanted to do a "quick job".