I Forge Iron

Spring fuller cart / rack / ?

40 fullers at an average of 4 inches wide will take over 13 feet of rod and I need to see what they are.

Four inches wide? :blink: I'm not quite following your geometry there. My spring tools are mostly less than 1-1/2" thick the way they would hang on bar.

I agree that I don't like hanging them over a bar. You can't see the business end and they don't lift off easily. I have a wall with some nails in it near the hammer. Swages on one nail; fullers on another and so forth. I may have to move one or two to get the one underneath but I try to plan my processes so I'm not looking for a tool with a hot piece of steel in my hand either.

I need to get a system to hold about 40 spring fullers so I can see what they are. I have some ideas but was wondering what anyone else is doing.

This is the problem:
post-23-0-23241500-1291339909_thumb.jpg

What I thought about doing was using 2 parallel flat bars and letting the springs drop down. Similar to:
post-23-0-81912200-1291340029_thumb.jpg

Uhhh-Anything wrong with nails on the wall? Up and down the wall they shouldn't take up that much space. What in the world do you DO with 40 spring fullers?

Well, I am kind of out of enough wall space. I added a couple of photos further down this thread. Perhaps I should have said "Spring Dies". As to why so many, as an example there are tenon dies for 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2. That's 10 and only discussing tenons. There are about half a dozen for different sizes of rope, texturing dies in many patterns for both flat and for round stock, ones to make different sizes of ball ends, etc. It doesn't take long for them to add up.

Four inches wide? :blink: I'm not quite following your geometry there. My spring tools are mostly less than 1-1/2" thick the way they would hang on bar.

I agree that I don't like hanging them over a bar. You can't see the business end and they don't lift off easily. I have a wall with some nails in it near the hammer. Swages on one nail; fullers on another and so forth. I may have to move one or two to get the one underneath but I try to plan my processes so I'm not looking for a tool with a hot piece of steel in my hand either.

Thanks for the reply. I added a couple photos on this thread of what I am planning to do. Perhaps I should have used the terms "Swedge" or "Die" rather than fuller. I am not looking for them with hot metal in my hand but I had them either in a metal box or on the floor by one of the hammers. I was just looking for a better system and interested in what other people were doing.

Quote: Well, I am kind of out of enough wall space. I added a couple of photos further down this thread. Perhaps I should have said "Spring Dies". As to why so many, as an example there are tenon dies for 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2. That's 10 and only discussing tenons. There are about half a dozen for different sizes of rope, texturing dies in many patterns for both flat and for round stock, ones to make different sizes of ball ends, etc. It doesn't take long for them to add up.

Dang, Coalforge. You must do some serious smithing!!! :blink: I only have a few spring swages and that keeps me confused. :D

Quote: Well, I am kind of out of enough wall space. I added a couple of photos further down this thread. Perhaps I should have said "Spring Dies". As to why so many, as an example there are tenon dies for 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2. That's 10 and only discussing tenons. There are about half a dozen for different sizes of rope, texturing dies in many patterns for both flat and for round stock, ones to make different sizes of ball ends, etc. It doesn't take long for them to add up.

Dang, Coalforge. You must do some serious smithing!!! :blink: I only have a few spring swages and that keeps me confused. :D

I did mostly agricultural smithing until the last dairy closed here on the island. When I started there were 14 dairys. Now we are a National Historic Preserve. (http://www.nps.gov/ebla/index.htm) and I am doing more ornamental work. A lot of repair on old house jewelry and gates and such.

If you're out of wall space that changes things considerably. Looks like you need a tool cart. It might make sense to build something with tool storage for more than just the spring tools. I incorporated tool storage into my gas forge stand; the forge is in the middle and tool racks are on either side about six inches below the forge. I think I had a good idea of putting two expanded metal shelves below the forge to hold stock and finished forgings.

Two parallel bars works for most of your spring tools and for hammers but you still might need a few pegs for narrow tools like spring fullers.

Uhhh-Anything wrong with nails on the wall? Up and down the wall they shouldn't take up that much space. What in the world do you DO with 40 spring fullers?

Really Eric? I bet I have a hundred and forty... maybe 200.... I have three pallets stacked full of them plus the 50 or so in my shop that get more frequent use...

I have my hammer tools in bins next to the hammers and various carts.... Its not a good system, I checking in on this thread hoping someone has a better solution..

Oh,we have great solutions,wonderful ones that border on absolute genius!
We`re just afraid if we tell you about them you`ll get organized,have a ton more space and then even the East coast won`t be safe from your tool buying sprees.
Uh-uh,our lips are sealed as far as you are concerned,you tool hog you. :D

I need to get a system to hold about 40 spring fullers so I can see what they are. I have some ideas but was wondering what anyone else is doing.

OK, how about this. The hanging hook idea is good because it takes up less space, It's bad because you can't see which fuller it is. What if you made the tip of the hook out of what it fullers. That way you could see what fuller it is by looking at the hook. You can also tell which one you didn't hang back up. I'm starting to get the same problem myself.

I`d go with the double bar system and then on the near side weld a few re-bar pegs so you can hang the ones you`re going to be using with the hot side down.
I like carts but that`s just because they give me another horizontal surface to pile stuff on once I run out of benches,shelves,boxes,floor,well...you get the picture.

WELL I will throw my two cents at this, unless you have empty wall space witch we all don't have then its cart time with wheels movable out of the way when not in use.

Now HOT end up ? that shouldn't be in rack in the first place ! thats an in use tool :) working near the hammer or ? / in use tools are not parked in rack = throw it on the floor while its hot or cool it & put it back on the rack

Yes you need to see what the tooling end is !! just like a hammer rack or anything else !
this doesn't mean pile :( I spend alot of time making my tools findable & usable or I spend more time making something I already have again, now job is @ a lose this gos for all my welding jigs also there at least in one place :)

as far as I can see EVERYTHING !!! needs to be on wheels so you can get it out of youre way to do the project needed ! UNLESS you have more room than you need LOL if so can I come over :D IDD LIKE TO SEE WHAT MY SHOP LOOK LIKE EMPTY LOL :D

My problem with most of these ideas is the problem with grabbing the hot end as the handle dangles down. Has anyone a suggestion or good idea that they are willing to share.

I do understand that this may allow certain persons to accumulate far more than the excess they already have but the rest of us will just make our own. :rolleyes:

I would also like to add for us who do have to utilise space carefully how do you make it mobile. I have one simple stand that uses the bottom of a office chair that works well but the storage part leave a lot to be desired.

Good thing this thread as it makes me think about it some more.

Geoff
Warragul
Australia