I Forge Iron

Old fashioned grinder guarding

evfreek

Recently, I lost my pedestal grinder to a downsizing. A garage sale arbor grinder ("blacksmith grinder") replaced it. These things look dangerous. What is the most pressing part to guard? The wheels or the pulley? Someone told me the v-belt, since one can get a finger nipped. I think it is the wheel. Here is an example of one of these old grinders. I have a buddy who runs one of these, and he insists it's perfectly safe.

post-714-0-33728200-1291137586_thumb.jpg

as long as ya keep your fingets out of it they are relativeley safe . the same rules apply to any bench grinder use the rests dont grind on the side be careful to not get things in the belt ect.. mostly paying attention to the tool! they are much safer than a hand held grinder ! have fun!

It is as safe as the wheels. What do you know about them? How fast are they turning? Are they of modern construction, never been dropped? I would find answers to all these questions, and build guards like a modern bench grinder. The potential danger is huge.

Its generally a good idea to replace the wheels on a grinder when you get it used or second hand. No way of knowing what abuse they suffered, even unintentional and its cheap insurance in case of a wheel fracture.

Face shield is also cheaper than picking bits of grinding wheel out of your teeth.

Hi everybody! Thanks for the helpful suggestions. These are semi-modern wheels that still have the speed markings on them. I will run them a little slower, maybe 1725 rpm. I did a ring test after searching around the web a while and learning about the hazard of wheels breaking apart while they are spinning. Cutting the speed should also cut down the energy considerably.

The idea I get is that it is much more important to guard the wheels than it is to guard the belt. I always wear a face shield while grinding, even with a dremel. I had a small stone shatter, and the dremel has no guards. At the RPM that these things run, those fragments really zing around. That was a preventable accident. Those little mounted points in the big box at the flea markets are so much less expensive then the carded dremel brand. Now I know why :angry:

• 2 months later...

The work rests (i.e. the little shelves sitting right out in front of the wheels) look in very good condition and I like how they surround the wheel a little. Better than mine at home. As long as those work rest are solid and kept close to a true running wheel, that should be a decent safe piece of equipment. The entire wheel shrouds you see on most grinders today is just an added bonus. Good luck with it. Spears.

Always keep the distance between the front of the wheel and the rest as close as possible, no more than 1/8''. when the wheel wears down and the gap widens it's dangerous. If the piece you're holding gets snatched down the oversized hole, your flesh is next in line....:(

I know that this will run contrary to popular opinion.

I run my pedestal grinder with no guards on or around the wheels. Simply a matter of personal preference. I grew up in an orthopedic shop where there were no guards due to the necessity of grinding long pieces of bar stock, and it just suits my methods to continue.

Knock on wood-no serious accidents in all these years. Your mileage may vary. ;)

I know that this will run contrary to popular opinion.

I run my pedestal grinder with no guards on or around the wheels. Simply a matter of personal preference. I grew up in an orthopedic shop where there were no guards due to the necessity of grinding long pieces of bar stock, and it just suits my methods to continue.

Knock on wood-no serious accidents in all these years. Your mileage may vary. ;)

I too have a ped grinder with no guards, I also stand to one side, we all have the freedom to take our own risks.......unless osha comes around.......mb

Hi fellas. Thanks for all the tips. That's a good one: as dangerous as a monkey with a machine gun. I'll have to remember that one!

Anyway, I looked up some of the OSHA regs, and welded up some guards. A lot of the old sheet metal came from an old dishwasher, and it is pretty bad. The ol' buzzbox was tricky to avoid burn through, but it looks sturdy. You can see the belt guard, all the pinch points shrouded, the adjustable tool rests, the wheel covers, and the top tongue guards.

This looks a bit safer, and I feel more comfortable running it. Gotta watch out for that monkey with a machine gun :) .

post-714-0-25819300-1297320671_thumb.jpg