I Forge Iron

Peter Wright anvil

• 2 weeks later...

Is $300 a fair price for a 97# (0-3-13) Peter Wright anvil in fairly good condition? Any idea how old the anvil is?

i just baught a 186# peter wright in the same or better cond, with the original sale paperwork (its 100 years old this year) for $300

Unfortunately it would seem that an anvil now days is pretty much worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Ebay anvils are typically going for $3.00 to $3.50 a lb or better and that seems to be trickling down to the used local markets. I can't be sure but I would wager that collectors with deep pockets are responsible at least in part for the rapidly rising prices. Kinda sucks for us that actually use an anvil.

Unfortunately it would seem that an anvil now days is pretty much worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Ebay anvils are typically going for $3.00 to $3.50 a lb or better and that seems to be trickling down to the used local markets. I can't be sure but I would wager that collectors with deep pockets are responsible at least in part for the rapidly rising prices. Kinda sucks for us that actually use an anvil.

Collectors have been competing for anvils and other blacksmith tools for quite some time. On the other hand, they may have saved some anvils from being scrapped and the collections do eventualy return to the market for the most part.

Good point Artist, but the prices seem to have shot out of sight recently. Guess it goes right along with everything else in todays ecomomy.

I am with you on the price thing. I was shocked to see a 6" leg vise for $336 on another thread. I think I got both my six" vises for free. Both needed work but still. I bought a 5" for $100 a couple months ago, complete and in good condition, and felt guilty paying so much.