I Forge Iron

Rounding Hammer

brianbrazealblacksmith

post-4954-0-14406500-1290213580_thumb.jp
I don't normally post my work. I usually do "how to" stuff, but this was a really nice hammer that LDW and I made today, so I think it's worth posting. This is a hammer that will be awarded to someone for something that I can't discuss just yet, but it turned out nice. This is all forged with a striker, and the only grinding is done on the faces.
post-4954-0-82589800-1290213474_thumb.jp post-4954-0-95503500-1290213536_thumb.jp

A nice hammer which reminds me of my ole horseshoeing days. I like the broadened cheek for more gripping surface to the wood. Does anyone know why a farrier might want such a hammer for turning and finishing horseshoes? I do.

I started out with an old Heller Brothers rounding hammer. Of course, a rounding hammer can also be used by the blacksmith for various operations.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Brian,
This is the hammer you were finishing up while I was on the phone with your yesterday? Either way this is a work of art, it is absolutely gorgeous.
Nice work Brian as usual.

So when I come to Mississippi, we are going to make one of those fullering hammers that I like so much, deal? haha oh and you can yell at me while we are making like usual haha I am just kidding I know your not scolding me.

A nice hammer which reminds me of my ole horseshoeing days. I like the broadened cheek for more gripping surface to the wood. Does anyone know why a farrier might want such a hammer for turning and finishing horseshoes? I do.

I started out with an old Heller Brothers rounding hammer. Of course, a rounding hammer can also be used by the blacksmith for various operations.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Frank, It not only reminds me of my shoeing days ,but I still use it daily. Mine is a diamond, I always think of making a new one but something else always come up