I Forge Iron

Trigger start torch hazard

evfreek

Hi. I just saw a post on another forum about a potential hazard associated with trigger start MAPP gas torches.

http://www.bernzomaticinjuries.com

It is kind of scary. Apparently, the neck of the bottle can break off before the safety notch does, with horrible consequences.

If you read the expert witness testimony, there is an MIT professor working for the defense with a huge CV of qualifications. His arguments, however, are kind of meandering and do not inspire confidence.

Included in the post are comments from a blacksmith. Short story: he tested it, verified the danger, eliminated it in his torch. End of story. No waffling.

I will be very careful about these torches in the future. I lent two of them to a rose workshop for the CBA and thought they were awfully convenient. After one is empty, I think that I will test it, blacksmith style.

Sounds to me like it was budget justification time in someone's department.

Anyone who is using a flamable gas or liquid without taking basic safety measures is a candidate for the Darwin Awards. This particular warning isn't about a hidden hazard on this tool or any gas torch set. Heck, any gas appliance for that matter. Try dragging your gas range or clothes dryer away from the wall with enough force and you can break the supply line or fitting with potentially catastrophic results.

I'll bet the guy who wrote it is exactly the kind of guy you not only have to TELL but have to watch continueously to make sure he DOESN'T mess with controls he doesn't know the use of.

Frosty the Lucky.

I find it interesting that the website states that propane bottles have no problems of the nature of mapp. I am sure that Wellington makes both bottles on the same machines at the same time, deciding the application after production.

Regardless of the author's shop aptitude, the information presented is worth paying attention to. Dropping a torch is more dangerous than many people think it is.

Phil

Don't worry, I'm not planing to do the test with any (usable) gas left in the cylinder. Gas is too precious to vent :lol: . I have two of the old MAPP cylinders left, both from that conference a few years back. The students didn't drain them dry, and there is enough gas in them to do a bit of damage. I don't use them myself because I have a set of really nice hose torches that connect to the refillable cylinder (cheaper ;) ), and an oxy-fuel torch if more heat is necessary. I am curious, however, and there is nothing like an experiment. Just chuck a piece of pipe over the end and give a tug with a scale. If it requires more that 20-30 lbs, call it OK.

I hate to say it, but I might trust a blacksmith's experience over a professor's explanation.