I Forge Iron

Which pein do you use the most?

2# cross-peen. I have two, both of which have different head and handle designs and are very different hammers, but both still cross peen. I have a 4# too, when I need to move more metal faster, but I don't use it often.

I mostly use a cross pein for general work, but depending on what I'm doing and how I have to shape the steel, I'll use a straight or diagonal pein. Average weight is 2 1/2 pounds although I prefer closer to 3 pounds for a hammer. I think I've solved that problem with the Quadra-Peen Hammer (pat pending) as I have a 3# LH diagonal, cross, straight, regular pein one that works pretty good to cover all the angles in one hammer.

Well a lot of my hammers don't get used by me; they get used by students and friends who are using my forge. I've tried to duplicate some of my favorite hammers in lighter sizes so students can't say "it's the hammer" rather than "it's my skill level"...

As for student hammers: I have a couple that are softer than my using hammers, easier to clean up a hammer face than the edge of a hardy or the face of an anvil...

Thomas

re; quarter peins, also called diagonal peins, twisted face, funny looking hammers etc. They show them in late 1800's catalogues, but when industry started mass producing hammers, the quarter peins and straight peins were left out as they did not sell enough of them to warrant putting them in production. The factories want something they can make a run of 10,000 or more and move them quickly.

Once you try a quarter pein hammer, and get used to it, it will be the first hammer you grab for and use the most because of its ability to quickly draw metal out.

Yes, 2, 2.5 and 3 quarter peins are about the only ones I use when smithing. I made a 1 #farriers turning hammer just to say I have one. My dad was one of the best horseshoers around in his day and he never had one of those turning hammers. I have had plenty of chances to buy used ones, but I can not see spending money for something I will never use or have no use for.
And I don't shoe horses anymore.

I am a hobby blacksmith, I made my living by welding and machinist work. I did serve a blacksmith apprenticeship, and know how to do most of it, but I HAD to make a living and their is very little call around here for traditional blacksmithing. You gotta eat ya know.

I've collected a lot of hammers over the years and usually give each new aquisition a try.

The ones I use the most though are a 40oz+/- straight pein I found at work being used to break concrete cylinders. Then there's the 32oz farrier's turning hammer. These are my main metal movers, both have handles that are too long but I haven't gotten around to replacing them.

Then there's my 2lb. Craftsman driller's hammer, a set of three ultra cheap chinese, square, flat faced hammers weighing, 500gm 1,000gm and 1,500gm. You have to be careful with the cheapo flat hammers as the edges and corners are sharp and it's pretty easy to cut the work.

I have a selection of cross peins from 1lb to 3lb + I use fairly often and a bunch of ball peins.

I modified a 5lb. sledge by grinding a shallow straight pein on one face. I did that when I was playing around with some pattern welding, using mild steel and Canadian quarters. This one is frankly too heavy for one handed use but I have some hand and a half handles that'll make it a decent working maul.

So, what you'll see at work most often are the: straight pein, turning hammer, drilling hammer, 1,500gm chinese flat faced, 1lb cross pein and maybe a ball pein or two.

The line up changes of course depending on what I'm doing. For instance if I'm using the hardy a lot I have a scarred up old 2lb single jack. It's scarred up because I normalized it years ago so it won't blunt the hardy if I miss. It's also a good hammer for chasing and set hammer work, as the soft face will bite the back of a chisel or set, minimizing slipped blows.

Frosty