I Forge Iron

found a flypress

andreas

I found this flypress at a local used machinery place. It's a Brown & Boggs. The sales guy says this thing weighs 2000-2500 lbs. Personally, just looking at the picture, I don't think it could possibly weigh that much. They're asking $950, which is apparently negotiable. Anyone familiar with this press? If it's as big as they say it is, it's way to big for my shop.

post-700-052929900 1284583477_thumb.jpg

Judged on the one I have I would say more like 6 to 700 lb. with the stand.
also look at the screw the thread is a fairly slow pitch. That does not mean it is not a useful item. only that it will not have the quick impact and rebound as a faster thread pitch. If it is not damaged or worn out the price is good.

That 2nd one looks like it might be a 2k# machine, not knowing where you are and what the press supply there is like I'd offer them $300 and go to $600. Press #1 looks ok, but those angled weight mounts make me think "ball flinger". I know that's not where physics says the mass wants to go but that was my first reaction!

How "good" is that dealer. New paint on old machinery is always a warning sign to me. Could be nothing, could be a bondo'd crack hiding under it. If you got as good dealer you can take the chance knowing they will stand behind it.

But I agree: I'd go with the second one and wrangle a price reduction since it hasn't been gussied up---don't mention that the faster screw is actually what you wanted in the first place...

If these presses are in good shape and adjustment and well oiled the rams should be at the bottom if they are a true flypress. The slow pitch thread makes these what we call a die proofing press around here. When you turn loose of a flypress the ram will start turning for the bottom on it's own, (unless it has Grant's mod).

You're right Peacock. The second one has a little faster thread but not near fast enough. They are useful, but not nearly as much as the fast threaded ones.

Thanks everyone, I guess I have a lot to consider. These are the only presses I have found within a reasonable distance from where I live, and I may be able to get them for a descent price. My question is, knowing that the threads on these presses are not that "fast", will they still exert the force needed for some cold work on say 1/4" mild steel?

I have a low number of thread starts on my screw press and when properly lubed it will seek bottom on it's own too---I have some lengths of pipe insulation slipped onto the dependent handles to mitigate THWAPPAGE when I'm jockeying the die or piece around and not paying attention to the relentless creep downward and the slow circling of the handles. (It doesn't have balls but rather a 42" dia toroid).

Thanks everyone, I guess I have a lot to consider. These are the only presses I have found within a reasonable distance from where I live, and I may be able to get them for a descent price. My question is, knowing that the threads on these presses are not that "fast", will they still exert the force needed for some cold work on say 1/4" mild steel?

Ain`t but one way to tell.Bring steel.

What kind of cold work?

I'm thinking about rosettes, candle cups and the like. I'm beginning to think these presses may be too big for my little shop. I may look at a hydraulic press instead. Slower, I know, but will take up less space in the shop.