I Forge Iron

Cut and Thrust Sword in PW Steel

JPH

Hello:

Here's a little something I just finished..a "Cut and Thrust" style sword with a laminated blade. Blade is welded from 1060 and L-6 32" long with a 2/3 blade length fuller. Blade pattern is my "Hug and Kisses" pattern.

The hilt is one of my one piece 1/2 baskets and both it and the fish tail pommel are Nitre blued. Grip is in a hock bottle shape wrapped in a chevron pattern bronze wire with a German silver spacer. OAL 40 1/4".. I'd say it came out OK for an olde fart working in his backyard out in the middle of nowhere...

JPH

post-71-020483300 1284258368_thumb.jpg

post-71-033684700 1284258398_thumb.jpg

post-71-030528500 1284258419_thumb.jpg

Beautiful workmanship all around. Just looking at that I'd say you done it time or two in the past. My son is looking over my shoulder and he thought that there was a rib running down the blade but I told him it was an optical illusion from the lighting and that it was actually a groove. Funny how light plays tricks on the eye. Nice, very nice work! B)

Bent:

You know you are the second person that said the fuller looks like a raised rib..and now that you mention it..it kinbda does at that. Funny how the eyes can sometimes be tricked .... I think it may be due to the pattern..I dunno..

Thank you all for the kind words about it..this one was a bit of a PITA to get "right" but the work weas worth it..

JPH

Dodge:

On this one I used my fly press and I don't use any guides when I am using Augustus Squeezer as there are to many things that need to be "done" when I am squeezing in the fuller..

After is is squeezed in I clean it up and even it out as best I can using my Foredom flex shaft machine and those little rubber drum sander things....

All in all, a fly press is a pretty nifty piece of equipment..sure beats doing it by hand hammer by a long ways...

JPH