I Forge Iron

i need help again :)with air power hammer

i instaled a power hammer a few days ago... and while i was getting it into the shop it droped on one side ...since then there is oil coming down the piston i thought that it was because when i was droped he oil went up and now it has 2 come down ..but ... i don't know ...any ideas ? is it normal lubrefiation ? or is it something broken....i used the power hammer for a while ...like 3 minutes all works fine but oil is leaking

1054.attach

1055.attach

What do you mean by dropped? as in it fell on its side with a big crash ? or just leaned over?

EDIT ******do not run hammer****** read the next post

Is it running fine, with the TUP retracting all the way back up and staying up at idle? is it running and hitting with a consistant beat?

If thats all fine, I would guess there was alot of oil sitting in the hammer.

Another thing could be your oiler pumping to much oil in, My oiler on my Nazel puts out a bit to much and I get oil dripping down the ram after its been used.

I just wipe it off with a rag and go back to work. I figure I'd rather have more oil than not enough

i just looked at the photo's again.

DO NOT RUN THE HAMMER without the dies in or some sorta big block spacer.

you don't want the TUP to bottom out. could cause serious damage and could be contributing to your oil leak.

Are there any scribed lines on the TUP (the hammer shaft) near the bottom about an 1" or 2 fromt the bottom and probably 9" or so inches up? The upper line would be the farthest you want the the TUP to drop.

Is this the first time you have run this particular hammer?

It could be normal lubrication... (I will pray for you that it is;-)

Did anything on the outside of the hammer get damaged?

As long as everything is running correctly I wouldn't worry too much...

If it is new to you, can you ask the former owner about this?

And Chris is right don't run the hammer without the dies installed.

It is a beauty, I hope 'she' is alright;-) How heavy a hammer is it? and who was the manufacturer?

And mcraigl is very right, you will want room around the hammer, so that you can work in the middle of long bars.

10x for the reply i instaled the dies and i never used it without them .The picture was taken way back...and yes the shaft is retracting all the way back when it is at idle speed and at (On position)
Yes all the controls got broken but weldet them on place
and the drop...was with a litle bang ...caz the hammer landet on dirt not concreet.
I don't know anything about who manufatured it ...the only words that are writen on the hammer is 1987 i guess this is the year when the hammer was made.
The hammer weights 3tons and has a 3phase engine 11kw with 6 belts...2day i poundet a little with it all seems to be just fine till now
When the piston is way up ...if i look inside the sleeve i can see it moving up and down ...but it does not get lower than the ...sleeve...how shooud i call it ...the black painted plate where the screws are inserted..

And i have one more question ....
What is this ??? in the picture -the small pipe with the cap- behind the big wheel ...shoud i put oil or vaseline ??? or is it for something else ?

1059.attach

G'Day Valentin,
mate , was the shaft all the way down while youse was movin' it , ifin so youse may ave damaged the oil seal when it went " all fall down go BANG ! "
I'd be lookin' there first ifin youse still ave lot's of oil runnin' down shaft .

I used ta work in footwear industry & we had a 10 tonne clicking press ( for cutting out leather uppers for shoes ) we needed moved from 1 factory to another , the shaft was down as it was lifted off truck & a nuf nuf " helper " didn't place sling rite on it & it went over . They got it back to it's feet , all seemed ok , we installed it & turned it on , oil runnin' down the shaft from where the shaft crushed the seal , took us 3 weeks to find another 1 & replace it

Dale Russell ( aka ) chopper

Here are some pictures of Beche hammers
If it´s a beche hammer, i think its a ( L3 Peter )
As you se in the picture there must be at least 15-20mm ( with the hammerhead and the dies installed) space under the piston to the air inlet from the valve, otherwise the hammer will run uncorrect.

If you let the hammer run for it self, and not to touch the handlebar,for about, lets say 10 minutes, i think the oil should stop leaking som much.
If it´s still leaking after that i think you have to slow down the lubricatoin on the lube pump, but be wery shure not to put it down to much, because that will damage the hammer soon.

Is it an automatic lube pump or is it a handpump?
If its an automatic pump, you have to adjust the pump so it comes a
rop of oil ewery 30seconds.

Hope that will help you Vallentin

Beche_100kg.jpg

Beche_100kg_1.jpg

Look in the gallery for bigger picture

Roger

10x for the replys... i really apreciate your help
It has a hand oil pump ...and the oil lines has a glas portion where u can see the oil level ...how often do i have to push the oil up the lines ? every 30 seconds ? or i shuld just make sure that there is oil on the glass portion when i use it

Yes the hammer felt on the left side and the piston was at it's lowest position when the hammer droped because the anvil was not yet instaled

I don't know if it's a BECHE hammer but it can be ...i am from Romania Europe and this is an european maufactor right ?There is nothing written on it and the owner just bought a building with the hammer inside and has no information about it..no paper no nothing .And i ... i never seen/used a power hammer in my life except this one :)
i will atach some pictures with the oil circuit and pump...it's an older photo ...had 2 repair the pump because of the drop the lever was broken ...now it is fixed

1065.attach

1066.attach

Apprenticeman,
Rogers workshop is absolutely amazing, the video he has is just a taster. Plus which he's a really friendly guy and provided your not a complete idiot he really will let you try one of the Beche's, he did when I went to see him a while back.
Hej Roger! Har du bra? :D

• 1 year later...

Dear Roger,

I'm new in this place and I very interested in the hammer machine very much and I would like to design the power hammer machine by use the system of the Beche hammer but I couldn't fine any detail at all. And right now I've got it from this website and from this your posted this make me need more excited to design power hammer machine.

May I ask a favor form you about this picture that you shown. Can you give me bigger than this please and on the other hand, I have seen your another post about the new hammer that you got and if possible could you give me more detail about inside of hammer please.:)

Kind regard,
jk_king

5696.attach

jk
Go to the top of the forum page and click on user cp
click on edit profile
go to the bottom of the page, enter your location and save.

We would like to know where in the world you are located.

Go to the IForgeIron gallery where you found this image and click on the image to enlarge it to the side that was originally submitted.

Search the gallery for Beche and there are several hammers listed.

jk, unless you are an engineering god I would not try to design / make one of these yourself. you can buy a Beche clone (anyang / striker) for less than the materials will cost you to build one from scratch.

There are a lot of little subtlties to the design of this seemingly very simple hammer that makes them work. If you dont understand them the hammer will not work properly. ever.

If you are looking to make hammers as a commercial enterprise contact me by PM and I may sell you a design & manufacturing drawings for a hammer, depending what your plans are.

jk
Go to the top of the forum page and click on user cp
click on edit profile
go to the bottom of the page, enter your location and save.

We would like to know where in the world you are located.

Go to the IForgeIron gallery where you found this image and click on the image to enlarge it to the side that was originally submitted.

Search the gallery for Beche and there are several hammers listed.

Dear Glenn,

I'm sorry about that and thank you so much for your kinds and helps.

Kind regards,
jk_king

jk, unless you are an engineering god I would not try to design / make one of these yourself. you can buy a Beche clone (anyang / striker) for less than the materials will cost you to build one from scratch.

There are a lot of little subtlties to the design of this seemingly very simple hammer that makes them work. If you dont understand them the hammer will not work properly. ever.

If you are looking to make hammers as a commercial enterprise contact me by PM and I may sell you a design & manufacturing drawings for a hammer, depending what your plans are.

Dear John,

Thank you for your suggestion about how complicate of the self contain air hammer than other systems air hammer and thank you for your kind.

kind regards,
jk_king

• 2 weeks later...

Well... i think that the picture was taken from the user's, manual of the hammer...getting your hands on one is nice.Every hammer had to come with one...Maybe u can find one on ebay or to sombody that has a new hammer or an old one bought from the factory

Hi everybody, Madmike, new member from France... Don't have much time to introduce myself but I'll do it as soon as I can :rolleyes:
Just to add a link to a Belgian homemade self-contained airhammer Upper right one ;)
@ JK : You would have to make both at once a hammer AND a compressor...

Edit : I didn't see it before but it seems to have been discussed here Hydraulic cylinder question? :rolleyes: