I Forge Iron

best blacksmith movie

cold cold steel

Kingdom of Heaven? Ain't that the one where Orlando Bloom dunks a glowing bracket he's been pounding on, pulls it out of the slake still glowing, and resumes pounding?

IIRC there was a bit on the disk (or maybe it was the Pirates of the Carribien disk) where they showed the cleverly painted hunk of wood he'd been "hammering" on. It was quite the sight to see the "glowing hot" piece being passed around bare handed.

My wife was quite upset with me at PoC #1---when Orlando brings in the presentation sword, (which would have never been forged in "the colonies"), and they are getting all sappy about "folded steel" I burst out laughing. Finally I whispered to her that that was the days of shear steel and so the cooks knives were probably "folded steel" as were everybody's pocket knives, etc...

How about the smithing and smith in "How to Train your Dragon"? (one of the best things about being a grandparent is getting an excuse to watch the kid's movies and to introduce them to the "classics"!)

And a fellow who used to hang around the blacksmithing forums some time ago Ernie Leimkuhler was the smith in "The Postman"; but most of his scenes were cut from the final film...

Kingdom of Heaven? Ain't that the one where Orlando Bloom dunks a glowing bracket he's been pounding on, pulls it out of the slake still glowing, and resumes pounding?

Yes. He pounds over the end of a bit of flat stock over the side of the anvil, sticks the entire red hot area in the slack tub but when he pulls it out and puts it back on the anvil a bit of the middle of the bar is still glowing then *presto* it is glowing brightly and straight again so he pounds it back over. Must be a lower quality iron they had back then that didn't stay cool when quenched. ;)

Last nite I watched "The left handed gun." 1958 western with Paul Newman as William Bonney (Billy the Kid).
There was one scene where they were in a mexican village and the blacksmith had a bucket with a small bellows feeding air to the bottom. He had an anvil that was a fence post anvil. It fit over a square post in the ground that was about 8" X 8".
Just thought that it was cool. A small village smith that used what he had.