I Forge Iron

Worth its weight in gold

I doubt he will wake up and sell it for a reasonable price. When i contacted the guy about his 'anvil' and apparaised leg vice (I contacted him the day of the ad) he claimed he already sold it, but a week laterI just found the same ad in our local bargain finder magazine :lol:

I have seen a lot of post vises with high prices because people researched and saw how much a *new* one costs and so they think that a used one should be just a bit under the price for a new one. They have no idea that an old used postvise is not a rare item and the used market is large and nowhere near as pricey as the new ones.

Last QS I went to I counted over a dozen postvises for sale for $40.

Most of the smithing stuff I see on Craigslist or eBay up here is priced at or above new and I've known a few folk who are happy to justify the price because it is after all an "antique" and things were made better back when.

What I found out some years ago is air freight to Alaska was the cheapest way to go. I mistakenly used a freight transfer outfit who barged and trucked less than 1k lbs from Seattle to Anchorage. not terribly far from me and it cost more than $1,350. where a few years before I air freighted some 1,500 lbs from the same city to Anchorage International for just under $1,000.

You're not far from FBKS International so I imagine not much more expensive than Anch. Worth thinking about anyway.

Not only do I not pay premium for antiques I really dislike paying stupid premiums for port fees. :angry:

Frosty the Lucky.

I agree with you 100% Frosty. Unfortunately for air freight these days you have to be a "Known Carrier" these days because of Homeland Security Regulations. I tried to get my anvil up here air freight because of cost and couldn't do it because Incandecent Ironworks wasn't on the list. So I shipped it barge and truck. But, it turned out ok. The people there worked hard to get me the best price and I was happy with the shipping cost, $325ish. Which was much better than the almost $1000 asked for by a large known freight company that will remain nameless.

I also agree that when I'm buying a tool, not an antique, I just don't see a reason to pay collector prices. If the want that much because, "I'm a collector and thats how much I want for it", then I don't need it that bad. Horders and collectors ruin things for those of us who have use for the items by driving prices up. I don't begrudge anyone a profit, but a resonable markup if you please.

I haven't shipped anything big since before 9/11 and haven't run into new regs. You've seen my two leg vises and the large, 6+" Indian Chief on the bar grate bench by the door cost a LOT less to get here than the 4" columbian on the folding stand. Air vs surface freight.:blink:

Heck, if I had a little bigger power hammer I'd be awfully tempted to make my own, a 1" acme screw and nut aren't THAT expensive and I can wing the rest. Heck, I could read a book and experiment a little and turn my own acmes if necessary.

Shipping SUCKS here on the last frontier!:(

Frosty the Lucky.

Heck, if I had a little bigger power hammer I'd be awfully tempted to make my own, a 1" acme screw and nut aren't THAT expensive and I can wing the rest. Heck, I could read a book and experiment a little and turn my own acmes if necessary.

Frosty the Lucky.

What? That shop lacks a lathe?
Phil

Yes Frosty shipping up to Alaska truely is a pain in the wallet. I gotta say though that I really enjoy it here. I finished up a pair of tongs yesterday. Made a J hook with them. Posted about it. The last few days have been busy at the forge, and will continue. Its been great. I remember the post vises you have and am really envious of them. Mine is a 4 inch weighs about 40 lbs. Not huge but sure nice to have. I mailed it up USPS and it wasn't all that expencive really. Just took a long time to get here. My sister mailed up some pictures for me to have UPS and it cost her a small fortune and they weigh a fraction of what the vise does.

Yes Frosty shipping up to Alaska truely is a pain in the wallet. I gotta say though that I really enjoy it here. I finished up a pair of tongs yesterday. Made a J hook with them. Posted about it. The last few days have been busy at the forge, and will continue. Its been great. I remember the post vises you have and am really envious of them. Mine is a 4 inch weighs about 40 lbs. Not huge but sure nice to have. I mailed it up USPS and it wasn't all that expencive really. Just took a long time to get here. My sister mailed up some pictures for me to have UPS and it cost her a small fortune and they weigh a fraction of what the vise does.

Nothing special about my leg vises besides having them, the little one's threads are rough so it's hard to open/close and doesn't get as tight as I'd like.

Doesn't UPS stand for U PAID us STUPID or something like that?

Frosty the Lucky.

Oh I have a lathe, I'm just too many years out of school to remember how to turn threads properly.

Frosty the Lucky.

I just figured out how change gears work on mine, I do understand. Took me the better part of an hour, now setting back to a feed rate may take the same amount of time. I had to bathe everything in kerosene to read the gear numbers, so they are clean at least.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

An intersting observation about auction prices:

I was at an auction of a blacksmith shop last week. There were over 200 peope there and quite a few had known this man, who died unexpectedly at a fairly young age. Among many other tools was a 350 Hay-Budden which he had done a beautiful job reparing. This anvil sold for $1800. As a tool, it probably was worth about 1/2 that or even less, depending on location. However, the high price was driven by the sentamental attachment a couple people had to that item. The winning bidder was a lady buying on behalf of her husband who had learned forge work from the deceased. He fully intends to continue using the anvil.

Now, there were probably a lot of folks at that auction who have no idea what the "tool" value of an anvil should be or is and it wouldn't surprise me if the results of this one sale give them an inflated idea of the value of anvils they may have. There is no way to put a price on the sentimental value of an item, and the buyer of that anvil was thrilled to be the winning bidder but the price paid did not reflect the value of the item as a tool.

Patrick

Here's a couple of post vises for sale in Alaska that seem to be more reasonable priced for anyone interested:

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls/1926220121.html

Thanks Mark, the phone prefix is the same as mine, he's literally within a couple miles at most. I'll give a call, there are a number of guys in the local club that can use a leg vise.

What say Bryan, still looking? I'll be taking a look soon as I make contact and my ride gets home.

Frosty the Lucky.

It's common, when farmers retire, for people to pay over the odds at the auction. Many of the older generation would feel awkward just giving money but are comfortable with paying too much for broken tools etc. as a way of providing a retirement gift.

Right you are Sam, bidding prices up is a common way to help with retirement, the widow's and kid's funds, etc. Folk taking care of each other is a good thing.

Frosty the Lucky.

What say Bryan, still looking? I'll be taking a look soon as I make contact and my ride gets home.

Frosty the Lucky.

Hey Frosty, I'm always looking. Can I afford it is the question. :P I have a 4" post vise I found in Kansas for $40. It works very well. I mailed it to myself here and still was under $90 total cost. So, strictly speaking I don't. But, I'm a blacksmith who loves tools. Dang I'm so conflicted. :blink:

Thanks Mark, the phone prefix is the same as mine, he's literally within a couple miles at most. I'll give a call, there are a number of guys in the local club that can use a leg vise.

Frosty the Lucky.

My pleasure Frosty. Good luck!