I Forge Iron

Used Blacksmithing Books

ofafeather

Hi, all. I'm looking for a used copy of Mark Aspery's first book. A new one is a bit more than I can spend on a book just now. Anyone know where I can find one? Thanks.

Also, if you're looking for Early American Wrought Iron Amazon has a couple of use copies in the $50 range and there was one on Ebay for around $80.

Anyone else have books they're looking to buy or sell or leads to share?

I have a "like new" copy of paper back volume 1 & 2 of Practical Blacksmithing author M.T. Richardson I'm looking to sell. Only problem is the shipping cost more than these books are worth. Here is the Amazon link.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Blacksmithing-Part-One-Volumes/dp/1879335816/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274381486&sr=1-15

If anyone is close to north Alabama, they can contact me if they wish to add these to their library. Would ask ~ 50% of new price. Regards, Spears.

I always use Bookfinder.com for finding second hand books, however the Mark Aspery books just seem to keep on increasing in value. :) I've been searching for a long time myself.

Just checked Bookfinder. Interesting. They are way more than it would cost me to buy it here but I think because all of the listings are out of the US. Mark has them on his site for $59 + shipping ($4 for US). Tempting, but I need to hold off, for now at least.

Just checked Bookfinder. Interesting. They are way more than it would cost me to buy it here but I think because all of the listings are out of the US. Mark has them on his site for $59 + shipping ($4 for US). Tempting, but I need to hold off, for now at least.

Save a buck fifty per week and in less than a year you can buy one from Mark! Help support the one who wrote it.

Bookfinder doesn't find it either!

Searching for books where
Title is The Metallography of early ferrous edge tools and edged weapons
Book is written in English

Searching 150 million books for sale

Search complete.

Sorry, we found no matching results at this time

Sigh

As an alternative to bookfinder, abebooks.com lets you set parameters for inside the US or worldwide, search by title, author, ISBN, price, etc. Sometimes you get different responses if you change search engines.

Lindsay (lindsaybks.com) and Dover (doverpublications.com) reprint out-of-copyright books on metalwork and other things. Dover also has books of copyright-free designs on every imaginable subject. Got an order for a cowboy motif gate, or sea life firescreen and are stumped? Viola! I can't draw flies, but I can run a copier/enlarger and a plasma cutter.

Pieh and Centaur blacksmith supply houses sometimes have sales and closeouts on books on their websites.

edwardrhamilton.com only sells closeout books. Sometimes you get lucky there.

Can you tell I'm an ink addict?

And if you are really cheap, inter-library loan. By having a library card, you can get the desk to borrow a copy of almost anything from anywhere. See if something is worth $50 or $1500 to you. That's the only way I could afford to look at the American Bowie Knife book, which gets bid into the stratosphere on flea-bay.

As an alternative to bookfinder, abebooks.com lets you set parameters for inside the US or worldwide, search by title, author, ISBN, price, etc. Sometimes you get different responses if you change search engines.

Lindsay (lindsaybks.com) and Dover (doverpublications.com) reprint out-of-copyright books on metalwork and other things. Dover also has books of copyright-free designs on every imaginable subject. Got an order for a cowboy motif gate, or sea life firescreen and are stumped? Viola! I can't draw flies, but I can run a copier/enlarger and a plasma cutter.

Pieh and Centaur blacksmith supply houses sometimes have sales and closeouts on books on their websites.

edwardrhamilton.com only sells closeout books. Sometimes you get lucky there.

Can you tell I'm an ink addict?

And if you are really cheap, inter-library loan. By having a library card, you can get the desk to borrow a copy of almost anything from anywhere. See if something is worth $50 or $1500 to you. That's the only way I could afford to look at the American Bowie Knife book, which gets bid into the stratosphere on flea-bay.

I love books and craft books are typically one way - they come in and don't leave. I usually like to own books like that and will go back to them again and again. While not cheap, I'm a big fan of the library. I have a few blacksmithing books on the way via inter-library loan. At least I can see if it's worth dropping the money on them at some point. I usually don't have a hard time buying a book at Amazon in the $20 range. When books jump to $60 - $150 it's just not as simple. American Wrought Iron used is still $50 and the library has it so for now... Unfortunately I don't think Mark's books come on to the used market frequently so... Well at least I know there's a market for it if I ever want to sell it!

Thanks for the references. Will check them out.

Don't ask me how it happened, I'll admit nothing, but I just ordered some well needed tools and supplies from Blacksmith's Depot and checked my receipt. To my surprise, what did I find included in my purchase? My subconscious wins again! Well, I held out for a little while and at least made an effort to search out the used venues and the library. I may be without coffee for a few weeks (or days :rolleyes: ) but I'll die with The Skills of a Blacksmith V.1 in my hand!

It might be nice to have a little trade/tailgate zone of our own here for books. I have a few that are either duplicates or a bit off my main interest areas that I would be willing to sell or trade for more useful ones. Some were such bargains at the time I acquired them that I couldn't resist and some I have moved past now. Got a couple of new ones; "Wrought Iron"(second edition, 6th rpinting 1949) by James Aston and Edward B. Story, "Pioneer Iron Works" (first edition 1968) by Mary Stetson Clarke; some silversmithing books too but I'll have to dig them out.

If you pay full price for one of Mark's books, you did not pay enough.

After actually working through it, if you would not pay double for it, read and use it again.

There is a reason you are not finding them used.

His book arrived yesterday and I have been thrilled reading it. Can't wait to go out and practice!