I Forge Iron

Anvil, anybody?? To buy..

AHHH it's the only thing stopping me from getting going. I've got the forge plans covered, kind of.. But what's the point without an anvil. The railroad rail just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I read a few places that they aren't very good, or useful. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and will try it if I can't find an anvil close. Money is tight these days so 300 bucks for a used one is a lot of dough. I have to be able to justify the money..lol..Anyone have pics of a railroad anvil that they actualy use and like?

Hey CJ.

Don't let not having a "real" anvil slow you down - get yourself any hunk of metal that will serve - old rail really does work well and you'd be surprised at how much you can get done on it. A lot of fellas use a chunk of forklift tine or just a large block scrounged at the scrapper. Keep shopping around - anvils are out there and if you're diligent enough, you'll come across a deal that works for you. This site is a great place to network so don't be afraid to ask. Go to your user control panel and fill in your location - your chances of connecting with someone local will really increase if we know where you are.

I started out with an O/A torch, a claw hammer and a bent piece of I-beam for my first six months, after that it was an ASO (anvil shaped object) and a ballpeen with a blown charcoal brazier until I graduated to a forge and 70 lb anvil.

It's all about getting metal hot and start to pounding!

Good luck on your search and have fun!

I have 3 feet of RR track (square cut ends) beside the forge at all times. It has all manner of curves that an anvil does not have. I use it almost as much as the "real" anvil.

If you provide us with a location, we can better help you find an anvil.

When you learned to drive---did you start out with a $50,000 car refusing to learn on anything lesser? Or like most of us did you start out with a much less fancy car and learn on a "beater"?

If you get a large square chunk of steel you will have an anvil much like the japanese sword smiths use to make their famed swords.

Many new people make the mistake of waiting for a "real" anvil not realizing that most of the world works on stuff that are not "johnny come lately" london pattern anvils. Or the pay way too much for a cast iron Anvil Shaped Object, (ASO), and don't have the money when a good anvil shows up.

Time at the "anvil" hammer in hand usually makes a much bigger difference than what the anvil looks like to your success in smithing.

I have a 25# travel anvil based on Roman, viking, renaissance, and F&IW examples that I bring to historical events (as it covers a *WIDE* range of history!) and I also bring when I teach a session at the local College. Many of my students avoid it trying to get time on one of the london pattern anvils instead until they have problems making their nails and I point out that the travel anvil has *perfect* edges for nail making and is the one I use to demo the project for them...

May I commend to your attention "The Complete Modern Blacksmith", Weygers as a great book showing improvised anvils and how to make RR rail into an anvil.

I have half of a railroad car coupler sitting near my "good" anvil.It has all sorts of curves and holes and works like a swage block for lots of things.Lots of our member info sites DON'T SAY WHAT PART OF THE COUNTRY THEY LIVE IN !!!!!!!Where are you? I come across neat stuff all the time that I would pass on if you are nearby...

When you learned to drive---did you start out with a $50,000 car refusing to learn on anything lesser? Or like most of us did you start out with a much less fancy car and learn on a "beater"?

If you get a large square chunk of steel you will have an anvil much like the japanese sword smiths use to make their famed swords.

Many new people make the mistake of waiting for a "real" anvil not realizing that most of the world works on stuff that are not "johnny come lately" london pattern anvils. Or the pay way too much for a cast iron Anvil Shaped Object, (ASO), and don't have the money when a good anvil shows up.

Time at the "anvil" hammer in hand usually makes a much bigger difference than what the anvil looks like to your success in smithing.

I have a 25# travel anvil based on Roman, viking, renaissance, and F&IW examples that I bring to historical events (as it covers a *WIDE* range of history!) and I also bring when I teach a session at the local College. Many of my students avoid it trying to get time on one of the london pattern anvils instead until they have problems making their nails and I point out that the travel anvil has *perfect* edges for nail making and is the one I use to demo the project for them...

May I commend to your attention "The Complete Modern Blacksmith", Weygers as a great book showing improvised anvils and how to make RR rail into an anvil.

Like I said in a previous post, patience is not one of my good virtues..lol..but if I want to to the job right I will figure something out for an anvil. And no, my first car was a 69 Lemans for 650 bucks, definety not 50k for any of my vehicles..lol..don't even think I'd want to drive a 50k vehicle unless it was a BigDog chopper, or a King Ranch F 150..lol..Had to throw that in..