I Forge Iron

Got a call from a friend who is a scrapper late last night to come see some stuff on its way to the recycler. A large 'C' frame, maybe from a pullmax.

I arrive to find the cans had already been emptied but was told I could poke around.....

And so I did!

As found before I clean it off to see what was still there.

dupont001.jpg

Complete and appears to be undammaged with only small bends to the guards. I'll know more when it gets unloaded here.

dupont003.jpg

dupont004.jpg

So the anvil fits from the front and the holes are to pull the anvil into place. This unit has straps welded to the anvil and they are used to pull it in, I assume to make for clearance around the die rather then the standard setup.

There is also a large bolt from the underneath holding the anvil in place.

I've seen 50's with an 'A' cast into the frame and 150's with an 'E' cast in. This unit has a 'C' so Im assuming something in between.

If I pull it apart what parts count if I'm weighing it? All the moving mass or just what is below the springs?

The flat belt drive wheel is damaged and I'll make a new one, this one is pretty worn and the scrap guys werent nice to it.

I'm going off of memory here but I recall they made 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 and 200# hammers. Two guys around here have a 50 and 75 but I don't recall the letters, my 150# hammer is a model E. The early ones were called Dupont, later Fairbanks, and I think there was a Canadian Fairbanks line as well. The letter designations may not have been the same from different eras. They were made here in Vermont and I've seen a number of them but have never seen one with a bottom die holder like that, usually they have a fairly normal sow block/dovetail set up. You may have a later model. The letter on mine is on the side of the frame at about chest hight.

I had a Fairbanks model C. At this moment, it's in an 1860's blacksmith shop that is being restored in New Market, MD. It is rated a 100# hammer. I suspect yours is a 100# hammer also.

There is more than one school of thought about what should be weighed to determine the weight of the hammer. Some believe it is all the falling parts. I believe it is the parts that deliver the energy by being "flung". Look at your mechanism to determine what parts those are.

Nice find Kerry!

Everything from the flywheel forward and down is now completely dissasembled. I was amazed there is simply NO wear on anything. Its like it was rebuilt and left sitting for 40 years (land owner died in 1973). I'll hone and polish, clean the oil ways.

New cotter pins , thats it.

The upper die has a large pin going up into the hammer to prevent shifting. Other then that no suprises.

The main shaft is another issue. As I dont have a large enough press here any ideas the best way to free it up?

Can someone post pictures of the internal braking systems on these hammers? I'm not sure this hammer ever had one.

If the brake is the same as a Fairbanks hammer, the brake sits in the back of the drive wheel. It is a steel on steel expansion ring and is installed as the pictures show.

As the belt tightener is taken off the belt, the cam on the end of the upper pin tightens the brake. As the belt tightener tightens the belt, the cam on the end of the upper pin releases the brake.

There is a second pin below that comes through the frame and holds the bottom of the brake ring in place.

On some Fairbanks hammers, this assembly might be on the forward side of the drive wheel.

post-585-034454500 1280701406_thumb.jpg

post-585-018210700 1280701441_thumb.jpg

post-585-073843700 1280701467_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

So I have just bought another power hammer and have an overfull shop with no roof. I'm short about $1600 on my roofing and we are putting up the last of the beams today.

This hammer needs a home! Hammer currently has the front moving bits dissasembled but just need cleaning and reassembly. The mainstaft is still stuck but honestly I really have not worked on it. There are just too many other things going on in my life right now.

Here is a rare chance to own an early hammer.

Quick sale or no sale! If I get the cash to complete the building elsewhere chances are I wont sell it till its rebuilt$$$$

100 lb Dupont with dies
located in Marriottsville MD 21104

Can load to your truck or trailer with enough notice.