I Forge Iron

What Kind of Steel for Serving Utensils

What kind of steel would you use for serving utensils, like fork/spoon set? It would need to be food safe and stay shiny without applying a finish that would be worn away. I have some stainless but don't know the type- think it's 304

Plain mild steel works quite well but does have to be cared for - although it's no worse than seasoning an old cast iron pot for preservation.

If you still want stainless, then 303 or 304 will both serve the purpose but you should also passivate the material after forging and final polish.

Plain mild steel works quite well but does have to be cared for - although it's no worse than seasoning an old cast iron pot for preservation.

If you still want stainless, then 303 or 304 will both serve the purpose but you should also passivate the material after forging and final polish.

Passivate?

We have to get some of the stainless steel parts that we manufacture passivated. In our case passivation is done to remove all traces of iron that may be on the surface from manufacture, and is done for corrosion resistance. In some cases we can have it done with citric acid, other times nitric acid is called out on the print.

I thought passivation involved heating stainless to red then quenching appropiatly. It was explained that heating and quenching was a process to manage the solid state solution to keep the chrome from forming carbides. Keeping the crome free (keeping it from bonding with carbon) keep the stainless ... welll.. stainless.

Also... should I worry about leaded stainless alloys? 304L for example? I have made stainless silverware out of "mystery stainless" and polished it without passivation, because I didn't know I had to.

Thanks
Cliff

Artfist... I thought I had seen 304L listed as a leaded steel for free machining ... thanks for the info, just not interested in poisoning myself or anyone else...accidentally... violates the rules of hospitality....

Thanks
Cliff

A lot of tomato processing equipment is 316 to resist the acids they contain.

We run a lot of 303,304, and some 316,416,17-4. So, we generate bar ends big enough that could be used to forge these from time to time. If you want I can keep an eye out for some. We are mostly running smaller diameter stuff now. If all you need is stainless regardless of what grade I can check the scrap drum for bigger diameters. I am already keeping an eye out for big copper for a couple of guys.