I Forge Iron

Gloves ? Glasses? Do people actually skip them?

I guess I could say "why wear hot gloves when crimping live conductors from the street?" The transformer is fused right? I'ts only 120v anyway...There is a a difference between fear and respect for the medium you are working. some people wear PPE, some people don't. Some people go home at night and enjoy dinner with their family, some get a ride to the morgue. guess it just depends on how you want to spend the evening.

sfety glasses ABSOLUTELY. gloves .. not usually when forgeing .. the worst burn i ever got was from a welding glove hot ember whent down the sleve and BURN. when i started i used um more cause i was clumsy now i know what can happen but ame better at handleing materials now . long or short sleeves dont seem to make a diference in burns but i use a cotton apron mostly to protect my clothes...welding and fab work is different if welding i try to remember long sleeves so i dont get "welders suntan" gloves yup and welding mask ..

I allways wear specs when hammering, ear plugs 95% of the time (I work with lots of older folks, and I realised that DEAF creeps up on you stealthy )

Leather pinny when on the power hammer or doing a lot of grinding (especially cut off disks) no point it chopping your dick off if a disk lets go :blink:

Dont really see the need for gloves, unless im doing a lot of forgewelding at full whack on the gas forge, when the handles get hot, welders gauntlet (or two) then.

Thing is (touch wood) ive never copped a proper burn from not wearing gloves metalworking. I think I allways 'tap' stuff before I pick it up. When I was about 8 I picked up a brick from beside the camp fire, that had been in the camp fire. That memory is still fresh over 25 years later, hence the subconcious tapping!

I always wear glasses. Something about having 20/2000 vision without them makes me feel safer with :). But I try to remember to put on my prescription safety glasses on whenever I'm in the shop.

Gloves - I don't often wear any. Sometimes on my tong hand when I'm chiseling/punching. Even with vice grips or my short tongs holding the tool, my hand is too close to the hot end. And also when using my small scrolling pliers. Same reason. But I'll add a vote for Kevlar gloves. I use the inexpensive terry-cloth type. They protect as well as leather. But if things get too hot, just removing the gloves from the heat source is enough. They don't hold heat like leather.

Usually I wear short sleeve all-cotton shirts and long pants. I only normally get scale burns, and that's not a problem. But when I was working one this birdbath things, I used my torch for localized heating and bending. I got some nasty burns when brushing against the part I just finished bending. So now when doing that type of work I wear either a long sleeve cotton shirt or some Kevlar sleeves.

I've got a cotton duck apron I like to wear once in a while. On hot days I'll wear shorts and that apron. The fan cools me off better than if I wore jeans.

Always wear my work boots in there now. I did some "quick" forging once in my sandals and the scale was too distracting. *All* of it fell on my feet, it seems.

My anvil is a Fisher, so is nice and quiet. But the treadle hammer isn't, so I use those rubber things that go in the ears for that. Also for lots of grinding and other noisy power tools.

Face visor when using the wire brush.

hand work ...... pretty much gove on work hand, very occassionally on hammer hand

power hammer work ....... pretty much always both gloves. As much .....because you can hold a bigger hotter larger gas forge heated piece piece for longer .... than for safety. Like most people I much prefer to hold the work (or work with a bar welded on) in my hands than in tongs. I'd much rather be holding the work in gloved hands than in tongs with no gloves.

Leather gloves are good when you want to give a quick pull push lift or poke to a bit of work you know to be very hot as long as it's only for a split second. I've done it on red metal a couple of times. Quickly throw the glove off after or dip your hand in the slack tup. Kinda goes against that fear I like to cultivate but ........