Jump to content
I Forge Iron

What's this "Hammer" used for?


Recommended Posts

It looks like a struck tool not a hammer but that's what the fellow has it listed as on eBay. :blink:
Has a bent wood handle, brobably steam bent I'm guessing while green. Maybe offset to make a hole for wedge?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd go with slot punch myself; a band setter should be offset to one side so you can get close up. (just made a couple dozen band nails last week for a cooper)

It IS offset though, plus has a little curve to match the barrel... must be a band setter. That seems obvious now.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

it may be what the British term a siding-down tool for setting or finishing shoulders as with a set hammer. The curve may have been for specialized, repeated work. We don't know what the final product was. The curved haft got your hand away from the heat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...