I Forge Iron

camping projects

I'm taking the family camping soon. This trip has inspired me to start making camp use items. We have all seen the camp fire setups that from a spit to a tripod, as well as the pot hangers(the names for these escape me). Other than these and axes/tomahawks/hachets, what else can be made for camping and camp site use. no matter how odd the device or how hard it is to make. Show me picture or even drawings.

I'm taking the family camping soon. This trip has inspired me to start making camp use items. We have all seen the camp fire setups that from a spit to a tripod, as well as the pot hangers(the names for these escape me). Other than these and axes/tomahawks/hachets, what else can be made for camping and camp site use. no matter how odd the device or how hard it is to make. Show me picture or even drawings.

Well, I tend to do a lot of primitive camping (not even a tent, usually. just a tarp and a wool blanket and whatever supplies I can carry on my person) so the first thing I thought of was Flint Strikers for fire making. maybe tiny tongs for grabbing a hot canteen cup off the fire? 4-6" blade fixed-blade knives, small tripods for hanging 1 quart cook pots (or stainless steel water bottles for H2O purification.

A good place to ask besides here would be over at The Pathfinder Forum

Hope this gives you some ideas!

David

Sorry, no pictures, but I like a good long handled fire poker with a hook that sticks in the ground to hang it on. All my boys want to play with the fire so this is a lot easier than a stick that has coals on the end that fall off. We have marshmallow forks, and a spoon-like tool for doing foil wrapped stuff in the fire too.

Tim, I would suggest a blow pipe. Use 1/2-inch square tubing, about 30 inches long. Forge one end down to constrict the hole to about 1/8 inch. Flare the other end and roll the lip around back on itself to make a nice smooth place to blow on it. You can put on a hanging hook if you like, and some prefer a 30-degree bend near the business end (I like it straight myself). The blow pipe is the handiest thing for starting a fire, or restarting from nearly dead coals.

Roger

make circular holder that looks like an electric stove burner with a tail flaten the tail or stub and coil it around one of your uprights for your fire set ...with 4 or more coils on the tab it will move up or down and jam on the leg making a handy shelf to put a coffie pot on ot a fry pan.

How about a tent stake puller? It's just a piece of round stock with a bend in one end for a handle and a curly part (Like a pigtail) on the other end to grab the stake. A big old fork made from some 3/4x1/4 stock could come in really handy as well.

A buddy of mine makes and sells a set of tools for backpacking or horseback carry that consists of 15 pieces of 1/4 or 5/16 square, all the same length (12-15 inches), with a point on one end and a closed eye on the other. This rig functions as a portable grate that breaks down to pack flat in a canvas case. To use...4 pcs are shoved in ground for the stand, 2 pcs run horizontally through those 4 eyes while the eyes of 8 pcs are threaded by one horizontal pc. These 8 pcs are flipped over and lay on the opposite horizontal bar to form the grate supports; the remaining pc is used for a fire poker. This setup works well to heat a dutch oven or coffee pot but you can't cook directly on it. It can also be configured to make a short tripod for a small hanging pot.

I also like to carry a comal, which is a flat Mexican griddle that has no sides (or very low ones). Mine has a handle from 3/8" round bent into a "U" and riveted to the griddle. These are great for tortillas and frying fajitas, chorizo or scrambled eggs but won't hold much food volume or liquids since they are flat.

Out this way, (NM), folks take an old disk from a cultivator and fill in the center hole and weld/rivet a couple of horseshoes to it as handles to make a fairly shallow cooking surface. n.b. the dish is a high carbon steel so treat it as such when welding on it!

Generally called a "disco"

Out this way, (NM), folks take an old disk from a cultivator and fill in the center hole and weld/rivet a couple of horseshoes to it as handles to make a fairly shallow cooking surface. n.b. the dish is a high carbon steel so treat it as such when welding on it!

Generally called a "disco"

Popular here in Ca. as well. My Father inlaw has one that he uses for fying in the backyard. He has it set over a large propane burner on a welded tripod. Fresh hot pork rinds and a cold beer go good together.