I Forge Iron

TIght wrap

I'm sorry if I should be posting this in the problems section. But I was wondering what the best way to make a tight wrap would be? I'm using 1 1/4 by 1/4 inch stock and I'm trying to wrap it around a 3/8 bolt. It seems like every time I heat up too much so the stock wants to bend near the middle of the heat, instead of at the fulcrum point.

The goal is to get the end of the stock slightly tucked up in the bend, creating a 3/8 circle. I'll try to snap a pic of what I'm trying for later today.

It sounds like what you are doing is similar to turning the barrel for a hinge? Having done a few hinges I find it helpful to slightly thin (taper) the end that will be turned. I start with a short but very hot heat and begin the turn by laying the strap flat on the anvil with a small overhang on a gently radiused edge. Hammering the end over the anvil edge gets the hook of the turn started. I then quickly flip the strap and hammer against the hooked edge to get a nice C turn. I usually have to take another heat here and then continue hammering against the hook to continue the turn moving toward a full curl. I get it fairly close and then drift the turn with a mandrel (test fit pin) and tighten up the fit by working the whole unit (pin and hinge strap) against the step and anvil edges, sometimes using a hammer with a narrow peen to finish the inside corner of the curl.

Try to get the heat to help you by roughly centering it where you want the metal to bend... easy enough when you want that bend at the end of your strap. Get a high heat, bright orange leaning toward yellow (1/4" stock is pretty stiff when wrapped to 3/8" ID). The hardest part of the bend is at the edge of the stock so bend that first and use an anvil edge to help force it into shape (here's where thinning the stock edge a little can help too). Begin the bend over the anvil edge and continue the roll by flipping it up and tapping at the end of the strap with your hammer. When you have freehand roughed the roll, finish by drifting and hammering tight over a mandrel.

I hope this helps, there are many other ways to approach this but this is about the simplest and most basic (works too).

Try dishing the stock along its length to counteract the tendency to bend more along the centre line. Put a short, one sided taper on the outside of the end of the bar, then just imagine you're making a scroll, only easier. Once the bend is far enough round you can grip a mandrel of the right dia (slightly larger than the finished piece, to allow for shrinkage as it cools) and continue to roll it up on the anvil face. Use a shortish, bright red heat.

While doing what you want isn't so difficult as it is a matter of trial and error then practicing the most successful techniques. Still, I have to wonder just what depths of desperation would lead an otherwise sane individual to ask THIS crew about tight wrappings.:blink:

Frosty the Lucky.

While doing what you want isn't so difficult as it is a matter of trial and error then practicing the most successful techniques. Still, I have to wonder just what depths of desperation would lead an otherwise sane individual to ask THIS crew about tight wrappings.:blink:

Frosty the Lucky.

Ahhh, but who said I was sane? ;).

Thanks for the help guys, I'll give it another try and see how it goes.

Oxymoron is a technical term refering to adjusting a torch that's smoking. eg. It'll stop smoking if you turn the Oxymoron! Maybe folk on your side of the pond don't mind a little smoke?

Frosty the Otherwise. . . Sane?:blink:

Oxymoron is a technical term refering to adjusting a torch that's smoking. eg. It'll stop smoking if you turn the Oxymoron! Maybe folk on your side of the pond don't mind a little smoke?

Frosty the Otherwise. . . Sane?:blink:

Thought that was the basis for a carburizing flame when gas welding ?

Or that could be the term they say to adjust the flame, "turn the oxy moron" but I can't say I've heard the term "oxymoroff", in my limited experience.

As for smoke, I came from Sheffield when it was steel city, (before they shut them down and made it a theme park) so I kind of don't mind smoke, it gives rise to the phrase "see hear and smell the blacksmiths" and gives the Forge its distinctive aroma

Luvverly !!!

oxymoron- (yes, i am ruining the fun! :D ) two things that contradict themselves obviously!!!!!!!

alec :D (the fun ruiner)

Take more than facts to ruin my fun Alec, but sounds perfect for describing me and some of the students of the blacksmiths craft I come across

oxymoron- (yes, i am ruining the fun! :D ) two things that contradict themselves obviously!!!!!!!

alec :D (the fun ruiner)

Those would be blacksmiths wouldn't they? Oh wait, those would be two guys who countradict themselves!

Thinking just pointing out the occasional oddness in the English or American language is somehow going to ruin anybody's fun is a sign your new around here.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thought that was the basis for a carburizing flame when gas welding ?

Or that could be the term they say to adjust the flame, "turn the oxy moron" but I can't say I've heard the term "oxymoroff", in my limited experience.

As for smoke, I came from Sheffield when it was steel city, (before they shut them down and made it a theme park) so I kind of don't mind smoke, it gives rise to the phrase "see hear and smell the blacksmiths" and gives the Forge its distinctive aroma

Luvverly !!!

Of course you don't hear anyone saying Oxymoroff if they're paying attention to the torch.

Didn't they just change the smoke when they turned Sheffield into a theme park?

Frosty the Lucky.

Of course you don't hear anyone saying Oxymoroff if they're paying attention to the torch.

Didn't they just change the smoke when they turned Sheffield into a theme park?

Frosty the Lucky.

Yep, they banned the black smoke and brought in "Smokeless" fuels, (and got rid of the skills base and industry in the area, shut down the steel mills and engineering companies etc etc) which meant the allowed smokeless fuels produced a white or light grey smoke, and that was OK, still smoke to me, but didn't taste or smell so good, and was a lot sharper on the lungs if you were a bit near to the fire.

Basically its coal with all the useful bits removed which used to go to making Benzole (gasoline/petrol) Town Gas, Nylon and other useful by products, and then charging more for the residue left now classed as smokeless.

Thats progress for you, glad I moved before the rot set in.

Nice to have you back Frosty

I guess that's progress for you, having to learn a skills set to earn a living just isn't nice is it?

I grew up in southern California and left for a less progressive piece of earth in the early 70's. Heck, it's so backwards here shooting an armed robber dead won't get you in trouble at all. The last news footage covering a hearing where a citizen killed two armed bad guys couldn't avoid showing the judge congratulating the citizen's marksmanship and good citizenship.

So long as you don't live in one of the local cities you aren't likely to find anyone who cares how much smoke is coming from your shop. Well, so long as it isn't too stinky that is.

Thanks John, it's good to be getting back.

Frosty the Lucky.