I Forge Iron

Regulators?!

ebnewt

I'm looking for a regulator and a gauge for my first forge. Not 100% sure what to get but found this guy and am thinking of ordering it.

My linkhttp://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Welding/Gas_Cutting_Welding/Regulators_Flowmeters/328-EP-70G.htm

And if it doesn't come with the gauge, is there such a thing as a gauge that reads from 0-20 or around that. Most of the ones I see are 0-100 psi.

Larry Zoeller sells individual parts and a complete hook up kit with everything you need also.

Sounds like I'm just a step or so ahead of you. I just finished ordering all my stuff for my forge a couple weeks ago. I'm still waiting for a couple things to get here.

-LouieIV

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it would be easier for you to get or not, but I have been using an acetylene regulator on my forge for nearly 2 years now without problems.

Both propane and acetylene are corrosive liquids with the vapors being the product used. Both are used at low pressures to avoid risk of explosions. I simply had an extra acetylene regulator when I built my forge so have used it since then.

I am curious if anyone has any reason not to use an acetylene regulator with propane or any other comments on this substitution.

I don't know if it would be easier for you to get or not, but I have been using an acetylene regulator on my forge for nearly 2 years now without problems.

Both propane and acetylene are corrosive liquids with the vapors being the product used. Both are used at low pressures to avoid risk of explosions. I simply had an extra acetylene regulator when I built my forge so have used it since then.

I am curious if anyone has any reason not to use an acetylene regulator with propane or any other comments on this substitution.

In the UK, propane should not be used with an acetelyne regulator as the diaphragms will be degraded by the propane, as they use different materials for the diaphragms.

That is the official line from BOC, however if you choose to ignore this advice they would work, but not for an extended period of use, and it may affect any insurance claims arising should you be unfortunate enough to have a need to make one.

In the UK, propane should not be used with an acetelyne regulator as the diaphragms will be degraded by the propane, as they use different materials for the diaphragms.

That is the official line from BOC, however if you choose to ignore this advice they would work, but not for an extended period of use, and it may affect any insurance claims arising should you be unfortunate enough to have a need to make one.

Same deal in the US. The propane destroys the rubber parts. Regulators can be serviced and in some cases re-certified for all fuel gasses. If you have a claim for fire and insurance finds out that a regulator or hose for acetylene on propane...opens a new can of worms that may result in a denial of your claim.

It is also plain unsafe to take this risk.

Phil