I Forge Iron

Punching 30 degress holes

Hello Blacksmiths.
I have a problem how to punch 30 mm holes in 30 degress angel in 40 mm x 40 mm iron bars.
Maybe some one out ther can help me where i can find some diskriptions ( Drawing or pictures) how to make this hole in a easy way.soon as possible!(to make straigt holes is no problem for me).

thanks very much from a blacksmith from Denmark , Metalmageren/ Rickard Rother.
www.metalmageren.dk

Are you trying to drift a perpendicular hole with 30 degree included angle or are you trying to drift a 30mm parallel sided hole at a 30 degree angle to the stock?

If it's the latter, I would set up on a drill press or mill and drill a hole at the proper angle. You could drill the hole undersized and drift to 30mm if you want it to have a slight bulge for aesthetics.

BTW, my maternal grandmother's grandparents immigrated from Sonderborg so welcome to a fellow Dane!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

One method is shown on page 76 in Otto Schmirler's "Werk und Werkzeug des Kunstschmieds." He shows a shouldered block of steel with square legs either end, clamped in the vise. The 30º hole is in the center of the block. The drawings seem to show that a vertical hole is slit/drifted on the work piece and then the piece is placed on the block. When drifted again, the drift must take the angle in the block below it.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

We have a first year apprentice who has demonstrated this skill this week in 14 pieces of 4140 2"square bar, Ok they were not all 30 degrees some were 5 degrees some were about 20 degrees others were closer to 30 deg. The only problem is he was trying to get them all in the centres of the bars and at 90 deg to the axis of the bars to make an order of hot setts. If he had needed to punch them at 30 degrees I bet he could have got them all at 90 deg or close to it. He'll have the opportunity to get some more practice after Xmas when he has to give another 14 a go. I'm hoping he gets them at 90 degrees this time, if he manages 30 degrees I'll find out how he does it and let everyone know.

I have dreams of doing some heavy architectural work of like 1 3/8 round piercing 1 X 2 flat and 2" round through 2" round... I kind of figured the easiest solution was to incorporate the angle into the parent bar so the secondary came through at 90"... you had a joggle just at the hole... I think it would look quite nice in the flat bar if done right, but afraid the round through round would look off...

I need to build some samples in the hopes I could sell it to someone...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello.
Now the work is done, thank´s for help , maybe yoúr grand ´mothe been to this house from the start of 1800.
se the picture from the work.
Have a very varm summer blacksmith´s from Metalmagern in denmark

We have a first year apprentice who has demonstrated this skill this week in 14 pieces of 4140 2"square bar, Ok they were not all 30 degrees some were 5 degrees some were about 20 degrees others were closer to 30 deg. The only problem is he was trying to get them all in the centres of the bars and at 90 deg to the axis of the bars to make an order of hot setts. If he had needed to punch them at 30 degrees I bet he could have got them all at 90 deg or close to it. He'll have the opportunity to get some more practice after Xmas when he has to give another 14 a go. I'm hoping he gets them at 90 degrees this time, if he manages 30 degrees I'll find out how he does it and let everyone know

We have a first year apprentice who........... is a genius

• 5 months later...

I believe I have seen this covered in several old (late 1800s/early 1900s) blacksmithing books.  What they would do is punch halfway through from one side, and then offset their punch on the other side so that the centers were at the appropriate angle.  Only a portion of the offset wholes would produce a slug, so after that was knocked out, a drift would have to be driven through.   I have never tried this technique, but I think it would have been perfect for this, if it worked as advertised.

• 4 years later...

An old post, but this one has haunted me since I first saw it. This is a detail from an Albert Paley piece, and I have tried off and on through the years to duplicate this odd detail. The hole is straight, but through the corner of an octagon piercing from a 45 to 45 at 90 to the axis of the parent bar. The more schemes I try at achieving this the more frustrating it gets- thankfully I dont need to use it for anything

20191102_184721.jpg

I believe it is drilled undersized, then drifted hot to final diameter.

That's how you can get a minimal "frogs eye" without distorting the whole detail.

Also note this piercing is at a transition where the direction of the twist changes.

A beautiful detail!