I Forge Iron

Wine Cellar Door

nuge

DB

The frame is hollow. I used 1" square tubing and made power hammer spring dies to form and texture 1/8 by 1" strips to "clad" the frame. I say form because you know how square tube has those rounded corners? I made the dies so they would sink the material into a very shallow U shape. Then they got welded(electric) on. Worked surprisingly well.

Yup, the latch is on the left. I put some sort of sliding bolt in the hollow frame. There's a spot for a simple padlock as well. If I remember right I clad the masterlock in some banged up metal so it wasn't a big ole shiner. Kinda put a skirt on it. By the way, architects love the word "clad".

I would have liked to used solid material and traditional joinery and the whole nine, but the budget was,ummm, kind of weak. So we have to make do with what we get, right?

Thanks for the questions.

I just made the mistake of letting my wife see this...

Sorry Dear, it's going to be a while yet before I'm ready to have a go at something that awesome.

If it's not too rude a question, I'd be really interested in knowing what you charged for it and whether it paid you well for your time. I have no expectations of quitting my day-job to make a living as a blacksmith, but I’d like to add it to my day-dream list of “things that’ll help pay the bills when I retire & move to the country”.

Excellent work nuge, I particularly like the fact that all the metal has been textured in some way. It really looks like it's been built by a craftsman, not something that looks like it's been assembled in a factory.

If it's not too rude a question, I'd be really interested in knowing what you charged for it and whether it paid you well for your time. I have no expectations of quitting my day-job to make a living as a blacksmith, but I’d like to add it to my day-dream list of “things that’ll help pay the bills when I retire & move to the country”.

I think I made a decent shop rate.($100+ an hour). I was younger and would like to say dumber but....I was younger.

• 1 month later...