I Forge Iron

Oil quenching container

My favorite place to find quenching containers is the nearest used restaurant supply! They have beat up stuff out back that won't work for restaurants any more but is a blacksmith's dream. Old steamer trays with lids(in case of flash) are Great!There's one or two such stores in most any good sized town... Eric S.

I use a piece of commercial duct piping with one end capped off to hold 7 gallons of crank case oil. Ive quenched numerous power hammer dies in which the die welded to the mounting plate weighs 6lbs. The walls of this are .035" stainless steel and I do bump them when I agitate during quench. The amount of fire I get upon insertion is very little considering it is a 6lb chunk of cherry red steel. Key is, get it down in and stir rapidly without bringing it to the top. Yes it generates a bit of oil smoke and I make sure and open a 10'x10' door at each end of my shop. I probably wouldn't go any thinner than this 20 gage sheet if possible. By the second die quenched the oil is hot but the outside of the container can be held bare handed. If I did more than two at once, I would prefer to have more oil than 7 gallons. Hope this helped with some ideas. Spears.

post-9545-011741700 1273683171_thumb.jpg post-9545-036010000 1273683157_thumb.jpg

Note for blade quenching it's handy to have a drop in plate with a block of wood screwed to it so if you accidentally drop a large blade in the tip doesn't puncture the container making a mess---the wood is so you don't mess up the tip. (if you put the screws in the corners it's unlikely the tip will impact them; but using something like 2x and short screws you shouldn't have a problem anyway.)

Don't forget a basket of some type to get parts out easily. Sometimes you want to do drop the part in, and a basket saves getting oil in your armpits or having to drain down the tank. A simple piece of hardware cloth cut and shaped works nicely, I have not heard of the zinc being a problem in quench oils.

Phil

• 8 months later...

I do hope that you made precautions for the oil catching fire and/or getting knocked over. IF it worked your very fortunate. I am not sure I would do that outside in the middle of the winter with 6 inches of snow on the ground, but that is me.

I made mine out of a forty pound propane tank. I prepared the tank for cutting by filling it with water. I let if stand for several days before draining then cut off the top dome. Weld a metal disk to the open end of the removed dome ( the disk till be the finished top of the tank lid so make it from a gage heavy enough to weld the hinge assembly to). Set the lid, dome down, into the open top of the cylinder. Fit and weld simple hinge brackets from light bar stock to the top and tank side. Weld a handle to the top and handles to the sides for opening and moving the tank container around.

Set the hinges so that the domed top will flop down and seal the tank container. This arrangement provides a tight seal to prevent, or smother, flash fires. I also made a catch tray for the tank from a loop of bar stock with expanded metal bottom so that I can just throw things in and close the lid. The catch tray is fitted with a long handle so that the tray can be pulled up out of the oil.

I will try to post pictures later today.

I have up loaded pictures of my Quench Tank, which was fabricated from a propane cylinder, to my Gallery file . Please note that since the propane cylinders base is small I welded a old iron wheel on to provide a stable base for the tank.

I am unable to down load these pictures from the Gallery to this Forum ( my old Mack will not support multiple windows) so visit my Gallery for a view if you like.

I have up loaded pictures of my Quench Tank, which was fabricated from a propane cylinder, to my Gallery file . Please note that since the propane cylinders base is small I welded a old iron wheel on to provide a stable base for the tank.

cool.gif

OK Here are the pictures of my Oil Quench Tank which is fabricated from a 40 pound propane tank.

post-14777-0-30405200-1296668699_thumb.j

post-14777-0-20576200-1296668734_thumb.j

post-14777-0-35860000-1296668749_thumb.j