I Forge Iron

Making the rough ol girl seem like a bright new Bonnie

So here is what she looked like when i got her, rescued from a field in eastern Washington where she lay neglected and forgotten...
4476008921_107f441feb.jpg
4476785566_397b2fb32d.jpg

And after a few short weeks of attending the Monster Metal rehab clinic we see a totally transformed ol girl...

4586093482_3e5405c55a.jpg
4586093282_1f51d70acd.jpg
4586093578_1926971127.jpg

If you or someone you love has a nasty ol hammer and would like give her a fresh new look, Call Monster Metal rehab today.... :P

Nice turn around! I'll bet the old girl is happy in her new make-up job.

One question on the drive pully- How fast is it turning? Looks a lot bigger than mine and mine turns almost scary fast. I like your motor mount by the way, simple and effective.

Nice turn around! I'll bet the old girl is happy in her new make-up job.

One question on the drive pully- How fast is it turning? Looks a lot bigger than mine and mine turns almost scary fast. I like your motor mount by the way, simple and effective.

Pulley is probably a lot bigger than yours but this is a 1160 rpm motor. With the gear belt it's like 95% power transfer and the slow motor is a mule. I think a 900-1160 rpm motor makes a big impact on performance. My dad only has maybe three more of these motors though and a low rpm motor cost about double if you buy it the hard way. When these run out I might have to make a new game plan

Pulley is probably a lot bigger than yours but this is a 1160 rpm motor. With the gear belt it's like 95% power transfer and the slow motor is a mule. I think a 900-1160 rpm motor makes a big impact on performance. My dad only has maybe three more of these motors though and a low rpm motor cost about double if you buy it the hard way. When these run out I might have to make a new game plan

Ya my pully is 2.5" OD at the top of the belts. Your low RPM motor is the bomb!

Beautiful job!
Just curious... how many hours total did it take to restore?

Im not really sure Bill.... I make it a point not to keep track because I want to keep feeling good about it and maybe do it again sometime... If I knew what it really took It might put an end to it..

Im not really sure Bill.... I make it a point not to keep track because I want to keep feeling good about it and maybe do it again sometime... If I knew what it really took It might put an end to it..

How about what days were the first and last pictures taken?
Phil

How about what days were the first and last pictures taken?
Phil

The first pictures where taken March 30 and the last ones May 6th... But for the first couple weeks I really didn't do much... I bet there is less than 60 hours? And this hammer was pretty easy, The bearings where in good shape, the ram only required minimal work... I rebuilt the clutch and welded up and re-drilled pin holes.. bought a new spring, new pins, new dies and keys from Sid..