I Forge Iron

What happened to this anvil?

Earlier, I posted about an anvil I had found on craigs list. The pics looked good, and the price was decent, right at $2/lb, so I took the time to drive up today. Putting eyes on is always a good thing, and I was ready to walk away with an anvil.

But, the pics didn't show some serious damage to the sides of the anvil. It looks like serious pitting caused by something other than a drill bit (none of the holes have a uniform look that you'd expect from either a drill or a chisel).

Any ideas what might have caused this kind of damage? Is this what you'd expect to see if the anvil had been in a fire?

The pitting on the side with the big hole is very deep, I'd estimate as much as 1.250" in some areas and give the side an almost-concave appearance. The big hole at the bottom is weird, but could be used to help fasten the anvil down to the stump.

Aside from the nameplate under the horn, the only other marks found were a "1909" on the base under the hardy hole. Any markings on the sides were destroyed by the pitting.

So, any ideas how heavy this thing might be? The owner is asking $600 and advertises it as between 250 and 350 pounds. I can say that it is larger and thicker than the last anvil I had, and it was at least 120lb. The face is very flat and has a minimum amount of damage, edges excepted. Didn't think to check it for a ring or get any measurements

My biggest worry is the quality long-term. While I'm just getting back into this game, and am only working on knives at this point, if I'm going to sink big money ($600 is big to me), I'd like some feeling of comfort. Should I drive two hours back to pick it up? Haggle the price down? Wait for something else to come along?

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.

IMG_3917.jpg
IMG_3918.jpg
IMG_3919.jpg
IMG_3921.jpg
IMG_3922.jpg
IMG_3924.jpg

Thanks for the link. At least that gives me some solace, though now I'm going to have to drive all the way back up there to get the blasted thing!

Think it's fair to say that it was made in 1909 or is that a code for something? Doesn't seem to mesh with the hundredweight measuring system as I understand it.

I'm waiting to hear back from the seller for some measurements. Then I'll be able to better gauge the weight and see how I like the price with that in mind.

That is assuredly a Fisher Norris anvil. Don't bother checking it for a ring, because it won't have one. It is a cast iron body with a steel face. They were sometimes referred to as "deaf" anvils, because of the lack of ring. Anecdotally they were preferred on Navy ships, because of their quietness. 1909 will be the year it was cast, as they did that to all the anvils I'm aware of. Mine was cast in 1899. I personally prefer the lack of ring compared to my SISCO anvil. Just a question for you to consider based on your personal preference...do you want an anvil that large for a reason? You can get a new 100# TFS anvil for less than $600.

Anvil

Mark

Hey Ken, I was just linking Blacksmith Depot prices there, and that doesn't include shipping. I wanted to present other options to the OP in his price range rather than just taking the anvil because it was available, especially given his stated concerns about the anvil. He commented that $600 was big bucks to him. If I were spending $600, I'd want to know that I spent it on the best option for my personal situation. Sometimes a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, but other times it just isn't the bird you want.

Mark

Thanks for the info, Mark. I would never have figured that an anvil would loose its ring just because of the base material. Neat to know.

As for anvils and size, I'm open to anything. This is the largest anvil I've come across and it's going for a decent price if I can narrow down the weight. I'm not in any hurry to buy, but I'd hate to pass up a good deal on something sizable because I'm hoping for something better/cheaper down the road.

What size do I need? Well, I don't need any anvil, so that's a bit of a sticky wicket. Given the choice, though, I'd prefer a heavy anvil over a light anvil simply for the chance to work larger metal with larger hammers.

Everyone seems to think the above anvil is still a solid tool, at a fair price, so I just might grab it. I got the impression that there weren't a lot of buyers lining up to grab this anvil, and I'm thinking a lot of that has to do with the cosmetic damage rather than the function damage at the edges.

There is still a lot of life left in that anvil. It wouldn't hurt to haggle some, especially if he hasn't gotten a bunch of people looking at it. I have a 260# Fisher, and it is a nice size to work with. Being a quieter anvil is also nice. Give him a ring, see if he is open to offers, if he is make a day of going to get it . Probably something else you can do in his neck of the woods.

Biggun, I'm going to talk with him a bit, but he seems kinda proud of his stuff. Seeing as how the consensus is in favor of the anvil, I feel better about buying it. If I can talk him down another c note on the price....

We'll see. I'd really like to know the weight, but feel safe guestimating it at at least 250#. I'm cool with the cosmetic damage now that I know it wasn't killed in a fire.

Just heard back from the owner and he was kind enough to take a tape to the anvil.

Measurements are . . . 13 inches high, 29 inches long (point to end), 5 inches across on top, 12 inches across at the base, and the horn itself is 11 inches long.

So, what say ye? Is that the size of a #300+ anvil? Or, more like what you'd see in an anvil that weighs under that magic mark?

Oh, and he's staying firm on the price. If it doesn't sell by May 8, he says he'll drop it another $50 and see how that goes. Like I told him, the weight determines how good the deal is. More than $2/lb for that anvil might be hard to come across in this economy.