I Forge Iron

gas burners in australia

lanchie76

hey guys

just a quick one for the aussie boys out there. does anyone know of anyone selling gas burners in australia? i've looked on the web and have tried to build one but as usual all the pipe and plumbing suppliers dont have anything i can use.

thanks in advance
Ben

Go to your local camping or barbie shop.
Purchase a single ring kettle hob, or if they sell them separately, the burner valve / nozzle for one.
Grab a bit of pipe, probably around 25mm I.D. and ideally threaded on one end. Fit a cap to the end. Drill and tap the cap to suit your (reclaimed) burner valve. Drill some holes in the pipe at the cap end, enough to get you good induced air.
Screw in the valve, attach it to a regulator & bottle, & fire her up! :)

(No, I haven't done this yet myself, I'm still getting the bits together but this is how Double_Edge_2 built his).

Tip: My local barbie shop said not to use a burner valve / nozzle from a barbie as they are a much lower rating. Make sure you get one from a single burner ring.

Hope that helps
Matt

Get in contact wtih Gameco phone 02 9648 5856 161 Parramatta Road Auburn NSW
for gas burners regulators etc they are an industrial gas burner supply firm.
All I did was used pipe fittings, for the jet i used a BSP plug that I drilled the smallest hole I had drill in my drill set. Worked a treat, I'll take some photos of it today.

Phil

hey guys

just a quick one for the aussie boys out there. does anyone know of anyone selling gas burners in australia? i've looked on the web and have tried to build one but as usual all the pipe and plumbing suppliers dont have anything i can use.

thanks in advance
Ben

As Ratel10mm says, they are easy to make, and the parts for a simple and effective burner are available and cheap. i use the pattern, for a forge, my old man casts ally with his and easy to explain to build, and wont cost you hundreds to make.

send me an email

As the others have said, making your own is not too difficult, you just need to be a little inventive.

Check out this site for useful design details and important safety tips. Read the whole thing carefully, I found it very helpful. He shows you exactly how to make your own, but also sells them at reasonable rates.

Ron Reil burners

My nozzle is a 0.9mm mig welding tip (5 for $10). All the other parts are standard plumbing fittings from the local plumbing supplies shop, with two useful recent additions. Since these photos were taken I have purchased a stainless steel nozzle, and a propane regulator with gauge from here. They have made controlling the forge MUCH easier.

post-10998-1271280956472_thumb.jpg
post-10998-12712810720535_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps!

Richard

http://www.iforgeiro...-and-made-this/

This seems to work well, I don't have a lot to compare to though. I took apart the multi burner forge since it was too hungry for fuel, and put one burner into a small volume forge, about 150 cu inch. The floor is a stove firebrick, and there is a depression about 1/3 of the way through started. I have melted some coil spring by accident, but have not tried welding...I am sure it can though.

here is a pic of the new forge with 1 burner, it is heating 2 pieces of 1 1/2 4140.

Phil
post-9443-12712936326435_thumb.jpg

If you have access to a cutting torch and a welder, build your own! I built a gas forge about a year ago. It's about 30" long and made from a large dia. pipe. I use it to heat long sections of stock for twisting. It's really not that hard, and cheaper then buying a new one...At least in my neck of the woods. ;)

While we are on the subject of furnace building in Oz, what is the best price people have found for Kao-wool / Insulwool in Australia??
Here is the first example i found on line;

FIBRE DIMENSIONS (MM) TEMP. 250 MM 500 MM 1 M 7.6 M
Back–Up Blanket (Standard) 610 x 25 (96 kg) 1260°C $9.30 $15.80 $26.70 $176.05
Hot Face Blanket (Hi–Duty) 610 x 25 (128 kg) 1400°C $13.30 $22.60 $38.30 $253.10
Ceramic Paper 610 x 2 1260°C $12.20 $18.20 $27.30
Vacuum Form Board – Compressed kaowool 610 x 12 1260°C $48.40 $72.60
Vacuum Form Board – Compressed kaowool 610 x 25 1260°C $68.60 $102.90
cut'n'paste from 'Pottery Supplies' in Milton QLD.

Are these prices in the ball park??

yours in anticipation,
AndrewOC

ps ere is me own burner; needs fine tunin-
post-8233-12713180200095_thumb.jpg

AndrewOC,

The prices for the hot face blanket look like about what I was quoted.

I went to an industrial foundry supplier and got chatting with the boss about being an amateur blacksmith wanting to build my own forge. He gave me some great advice and showed me what he had as off-cuts which made a much cheaper solution for me.

There is a ceramic paint you can put over the blanket which reflects a great deal more of the heat back into the forge and dramatically improves efficiency as well as extending the life of the blanket which is not rated for the temps you’ll be wanting to achieve sometimes.

ps ere is me own burner; needs fine tunin-

You need to put a flare on the end as a simple first improvement. Before I bought a flare from the USA I just used a plumbing reducer fitting which was 100% better than nothing.

Hey Andrew (you big burly blacksmith you)

Instead of using screwed reducers swage a large dia piece of pipe down to the the small size, leave a nice radii in the transition. I found that having the sharp screwed ends of the pipe tends to disturb the air flow as it travels down the burner pipe, you dont even have to swage the whole lenght, just a bit at the end then make a nice weld onto your smaller pipe with no dilburrys on the inside. If you can't get gear to do it let me know and I'll do them for you and send them down.

Phil

Gents,

Have a browse around this website, has two nice tutorials (with piccies) on a gas forge and burner. Karim uses both these in his knife and damascus classes and I have used both for a day turning out damascus billet with him. The billet was 1075 and 15N20, forge welding out to 200 layers over approximately 3 hours.

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/workshop-tour/tutorials

I personally run a Ron Reil T-rex 3/4 burner and the price to get it here was quite reasonable. I havent changed it in any way and it worked out of the box the same day. If you are in the Hunter area I get my Kaowool (1400degC) from Insulation Industries and pay around $40 for a metre length. This was enough to line two single burner gas forges. The painted lining you described can be obtained from a place in Perth that does tubs of refractory wash, Karim lists the link on his suppliers page. I purchased a litre of ITC-100 from a Queensland firm but it came at a punishing cost. Here are some links to appropriate washes.

http://www.rojan.com.au/upload/pages/zircon-wash/zircon-washes---new.pdf
http://www.consolidatedrefractories.com.au/index.htm
http://www.advancedthermalsupplies.com.au/products/thermal/

I go through a bit of clay kitty litter as well; I use it to change the gas volume of the forge depending on what I am trying to do. Just make sure it is clay, not the synthetic stuff.

Monster.

• 10 years later...

Welcome aboard... I can't give a real good answer for burners made in OZ not knowing the availability of parts. But the Frosty T burner made in the U.S. will definitely get the forge up to welding temp, depending on the size of the burner and Cubic inches of the forge. In other words a small burner in a large forge won't work. That is covered here. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/44773-burner-to-cubic-inch-relationship/   

Have you seen the OZ Roll Call thread down in Everything Else section great bunch of folks there. Also a thread that will help in getting the best out of the forum is the Read This First thread located up in the blue banner. We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it.

Welcome aboard Shane, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. Also a lot of information is location specific, somethings available here are expensive if not impossible to get elsewhere. 

If you pick a proven burner plan and follow it, it WILL bring a reasonably well built forge that's within the burner's volume range to welding temperatures. 

Frosty The Lucky.

If you tune by eye and ear their mix of gasses won't make a difference except in the final ambient flame temp. You probably wouldn't notice unless unless you swap tanks to a different blend, say American propane. The physical size of adjustment might (probably will?) be different but the clues and results will be pretty much the same.

Frosty The Lucky.

Interesting thread. Almost 10 replies from different members in Australia only ten years ago. 

All disappeared.  And I can think of another half a dozen that stopped posting years ago, mostly professional blacksmith. 

Sad trend.