I Forge Iron

Keeping that original look without painting

Hey guys, I have a question. What kind of oil do you put on the finished product to keep it corrosion resistant without painting it. I made a hook over the weekend and put a light coat of gun oil on it. It rained last night and you guessed it....it has rusted and looks like hell. What does the forum use and where can I get it? I want that steel look and I don't want to cover it up with paint. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Found the oil or beeswax finish to last for up to 1-2 years outside but i rub it in at a high black heat just after the color is fully out.None of the other posts mention this are you finishing it cold??Have also used lard in the same way then while still some heat in it rubbed with beeswax and buffed to a shine.

In the United States you should be able to get it at pretty much any store carrying paint. (all 3 hardware stores and the lumber yard carry it in my small town) At a real Paint store you should be able to buy it by the gallon or 5 gallon can!

Now where you are at I can't say; might be handy to edit your profile to put in general location to make such questions easier to answer.