I Forge Iron

Anyone forge on the lawn?

Hi, All. My wife and I built a lean-to smithy in the fall and never really had the chance to use it before the weather turned. Now that the nice weather is here we would like to get it going. The question at the moment is what to do with the floor. It's grass. Can we leave it and work that way? Is the grass a fire hazard? Will the anvil lose some of its effectiveness? (I can always sink a post or stump for that). We are considering digging out the sod at some point and putting in crushed stone but are wondering if it's necessary. Any ideas? Thanks.~Eric

I have a steel plate mounted on the bottom of my anvil stump, 16"x 24" for forging in the dirt (what your grass will turn into if you work there often enough). I was always thinking about a nice brick surface. The plate works well for the anvil indoors too, adds a bunch of stability.

I don't know- forging on the lawn may be a little hard (or soft). The grass will catch fire and the material may not move the way it would on an anvil :P

I work on a concrete floor---standing on a lawn all day forging would be a dream :rolleyes:

i forge in the backyard, and it is comfy. grass turns into dirt then you move onto new grass or stay. big shady trees....
a big stump under the anvil helps steel move, and you dont mark everything you drop. the one drawback is you cant bolt tools down though a large disc of 30mm plate helps with benders or vises.

at the little shed its all concrete and roof. id rather be forging under a big shady tree. unless of course its raining.

I don't know- forging on the lawn may be a little hard (or soft). The grass will catch fire and the material may not move the way it would on an anvil :P

I work on a concrete floor---standing on a lawn all day forging would be a dream :rolleyes:

:lol: That was great! Right now we have an open lean-to so it has a roof, no walls. We have the remnants from an old shelter that collapsed so have the tarp/door section going right across the back of the lean-to. It's great because it has a zipper on both sides so you can roll the door open. I have another just like it that we'll put on the front and we may tarp in the sides, at least temporarily, to get some weather protection. I don't plan on forging there with the tarps down but need to at least provide protection for the equipment. I think that some point we'll put more permanent walls up.

There's nothing wrong with a lawn for a shop floor, If it's dry it might be a fire hazard so water it first and it'll be fine. Mow it if it's too long and you think you'll lose small dropped things, a fishing magnet will find them first though, you do NOT want to run the mower over an area with steel objects laying about. Can you spell PAINFUL impact damage!? :o

I've spent many a pleasant day forging on the lawn in the trailer court I used to live with nary a complaint from the next door neighbor some 30' away but I kept their kitchen knives sharp for them and repaired small items gratis. Funny how my neighbors actually bragged and took up my cause on the few occasions touchy folk griped about a little noise. Heck nobody wondered where the court children were when I had a fire going, nor worried if they were safe or well behaved and learning manners. They were well spoken, polite and followed directions if they wanted a chance at the anvil too, same for their parents.

Those were good days.

Frosty the Lucky.

You start out on grass, move up to gravel, move up again to brick or concrete, then progress enough to do a demonstration and guess where they put you ---- ON GRASS !!

It does not matter where you forge, as long as you enjoy the time spent at the anvil.

My only thing about grass, I work outside too, is that after a while in the same place the iron in the scale will kill the grass in a circle around your anvil... and forge... keep an eye out for smoke from errant hot work and flung embers and you'll be fine... besides.. lost hot work will send up smoke to let you know exactly where it is!

clean dry leaves away from the base of your anvil and forge before starting the fire... that I learned that the hard way.. it had rained the day before .. and I wanted to work my forge .. not my yard .. I dropped one little hat off cut..

But like Frosty says.. little bits that get lost should be retrieved with a magnet or something before mowing!!!... they could end up in you shins... house walls... windows.. neighbors truck door... the list goes on...

I found that after a few days my anvil found its.. "home" and behaved well.. I can't move metal as well as I could with a full stump in the ground or on a concrete floor, maybe a 5% loss of efficiency,.. but I can move my anvil and stay in the shade and out of the smoke... I have the advantage of being able to put my anvil and vice in directions that will do me the most good.

i forge in the backyard, and it is comfy. grass turns into dirt then you move onto new grass or stay. big shady trees....
a big stump under the anvil helps steel move, and you dont mark everything you drop. the one drawback is you cant bolt tools down though a large disc of 30mm plate helps with benders or vises.

at the little shed its all concrete and roof. id rather be forging under a big shady tree. unless of course its raining.

i do the same, i just hit my work area with a combo of round up and 24d, so its just dead and smashed grass. big stump holds my 65 lb anvil, and ive turned out some good knives in my yard lol