I Forge Iron

Re-enactment Camp Fire Set

Ferrous Freaks,

Delivered this set to another work colleague who participates in the Australian Medieval Re-enactment circuit. He wanted a frame that could support multiple spits for cooking large feasts for the masses after a hard day of sparring and general medieval activities...

The frame is 20mm round with 10mm punched and drifted holes. S hooks are 10mm square, 3 getting rudimentary dragon'esque' heads. The trivet is 20cm diameter, 20mm x 5mm flat bar. Forks started life as 20mm x 5mm flat as well.

Most of the work was done with a gas forge and flypress. Oxy torch was used for localised punching duties. This was a fun set of gear to make, it was also my first foray into the punch/drift world with a number of lessons learnt, some through burnt skin and swearing. (They are the most fun though, you get something to show for the lesson at the end !).

Welcome the criticism as always, quickest way to improve.

Monster.

post-6569-12703597679195_thumb.jpg

post-6569-12703598110742_thumb.jpg

post-6569-12703598244642_thumb.jpg

post-6569-12703598387986_thumb.jpg

post-6569-12703598572998_thumb.jpg

post-6569-12703598743086_thumb.jpg

post-6569-12703598924329_thumb.jpg

post-6569-12703599113929_thumb.jpg

That's pretty darned nice Monster guy! I like it all but especially the drangon heads and serpenty spit hangers. (I think they are)

I don't have any critique for you except I hope the recipient has some young lads to carry it where it's going.

Frosty the Lucky.

Very slightly reminiscent of the celtic firedogs in the British Museum.

The folding set up to hold spits can be found in the Il Cuoco Segreto Di Papa Pio V (The Private Chef of Pope Pius V), by Bartolomeo Scappi, Venice, 1570 (see an excerpt here ) Do you have another source for it?

Quite a bit fancier and better looking than lowly medieval/renaissance cooking equipment usually was!

I've been making cooking equipment from Il Cuco for a re-enactor and did the spit rest and a set of the pot supports with skewer holders on the legs; more to come this summer when we do a couple of 5 day campouts and I trade iron work for food!

And as for portability; well back in the day portability often involved wagons, oxen and burly serfs to do the heavy work! The ute and friends who work for beer is the modern version

Thanks for the comments,

The rough guide I was given came from this website :

http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/03/renaissance-kitchen.html

The other Aussie site that I have stumbled across is :

http://www.manningimperial.com/

Thomas : Next time I am in New Mexico I will let you know, I was kicking around Albuquerque last year for 4 weeks and made time to catch up with the Gunter bros (just after they had finished fixing the Nazel). Was not aware there were so many talented smiths around Santa Fe. Will be good to also see how Albuquerque's large UP steam loco rebuild is going, might be some engineering blacksmithing work there in the next few years.

Monster.

Same guy: Scappi, 1570. After building enough to get good at it I need to do a set in Wrought Iron for a stuffy purist, (myself).

Look me up next time you are around! There are lots of good folks out this way and our local town has a place that is a micro brewery and makes wood fired pizzas! I'm about 1 hour south of Albuquerque on I25 right on the way to see the Trinity Site or the VLA. (Trinity site only open the first Saturday of April and October as the range is still open...)