I Forge Iron

Great Past Week

Hey everyone, you guys may remember me from a little while back. Well, I have been on spring break this past week; and as stated in the last thread, I'd rather be forging than be on a beach. And I did just that. I took classes from Monday-Friday with Mr. Brian Brazeal, as I'm sure you all know him by now. He is a great instructor (I learned to not use the word "Teacher", right Brian?) and I strongly recommend anyone wanting to take classes with him to do so. You will not be disappointed. Brian helped me make a hammer at the LAMA event in Louisiana...Prior to that I had never done any blacksmithing at all; so basically I still had no experience on arrival. I got to his home around noon Monday, and after a quick bite to eat we set out immediately to start forging. After alot of clay time/horse head practicing/ and pine tar, I learned more than I could have ever imagined. Leaves (my current favorite), flowers (Not at all good with those haha), horse heads, trivots (my second favorite), and even started learning how to make a pair of tongs (that was a doozy). Mr. Lyle came by every day, and gave me a few tips/tricks as well, which helped my horse heads actually look more like horse heads, haha. Brian also made many tools (including one I can use as an anvil, as soon as I find a tree stump) for me which I am very grateful for. I will be trying to upload pictures soon, but Lyle may beat me to it. This has definitely been one of my best (if not the best) spring breaks I've had.

Thank you again Mr. Brian, I greatly appreciate all the help you gave a young beginner.

Sounds like a terrific week Joseph! I don't know of too many things I like better than playing with fire and hammers, especially if there are playmates.

You might try calling an outfit that does tree surgery or one that does tree removal or stump grinding, or land clearing for a block to set your new anvil on. Heck, maybe you have a neighbor with an unwanted tree you can have.

Frosty the Lucky.

Myloh- Definitely!

Bentiron- Well almost every guy loves fire and banging with hammers....I suppose mine is just a stronger love is all ;)

Frosty- On my way to town today I actually saw several houses with stumps, I may go stop by a few and see if they would let me have it if I find a way to remove it. My only problem would be is they appear to be short somewhat.

Myloh- Definitely!

Bentiron- Well almost every guy loves fire and banging with hammers....I suppose mine is just a stronger love is all ;)

Frosty- On my way to town today I actually saw several houses with stumps, I may go stop by a few and see if they would let me have it if I find a way to remove it. My only problem would be is they appear to be short somewhat.

What you want is a log. Search Craigslist for "firewood" and call and ask for an unsplit round of a specified length and diameter. Go get it instead of having it delivered, and offer the guy $10-$20 for it, if you have a useful trinket, and a good story he may refuse payment.

First choice is White Oak, ash or hickory, then any oak or dense hardwood, then any hardwood.
Pine is OK, but not nearly as good since it is less dense.

Phil

Thanks Phil! I'll be sure to do that! I'll let you know if I have any luck :D

Yes, Phil's right on the money, you aren't looking for a "stump" you're looking for a block. I don't know how I missed mentioning this in my first post. I must be getting old or something!:o

Frosty the Lucky.

Here is a link to the items Joseph took home with him. I have to do the link because I cannot get a picture to attach. I want ya'll to know Joseph worked from daylight till dark, hammering away. Brian said it would have been nice to take some pictures the first day and the last to show the improvement. I told Joseph if he can learn the steps Brian is showing him, he can practice them for years. He did excellent, and he was a pleasure to be around.
http://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/JosephsPics#

Being down in Louisiana he may want to find out what wood is most bug resistant locally and go for that. I'd think a horsehead letter opener (or even better bottle opener) and or a horse head hoof pick would get you a custom cut log from a tree service guy with horses.

Out where I am I went with old mining baulks; yes they are creosoted but old and not still oozing and sticky and I don't have to worry about termites.

For my traveling set up I added big handles to the sides of the baulks to make them easier to carry.

Joseph, you did really good last week. It was a pleasure to have you here, and I hope you come back soon. We forgot to load that vice up for you.

Joseph really stayed with it, and I could see him getting better every day. The main thing I was wanting him to practice was half-hammer faced blows near and far with the round side of his hammer and then cutting off with the hardy. He got alot of practice in and never complained or quit.

Joseph,
I envy you, I wish I would have started at your age, I could be sooooo much better, but the journey is a sweet one, welcome to the group. I don't believe I have ever been a part of a group that rivals this one, when you need help, just ask, when you need prayer, just ask, when you need examples, just ask, these folks are the most generous group anyone could ever ask for, I'm proud to be a part of it.

Brian: Thank you, I had remembered about the vice the morning after I returned. Perhaps I can get Mr. Jerry to let me borrow one until next time ;)

Mike: I know exactly what you mean. I too am happy to have started early, and am eager to keep practicing. I know its going to be a bit slow going with all the events (graduation/college) coming up, but once I get settled I'll really start cracking down on it :D

I think the funniest thing is when I show friends what I made, they respond "Ohh, make me a sword!" I find it quite funny.