I Forge Iron

tongs

FieryFurnace

Here are some tongs I made the other day. Took two hours using a mixture of hand hammer, treadle, and I let my little brother strike some.

They are for holding 1/4 to 1/2 working best with 3/8ths inch round. It will also hold stock perpendicular to the tongs. Forged from two, eight-inch pieces of 5/8ths inch square! 1/4 inch rivit!

DSC05001.jpg

DSC05002.jpg

DSC05005.jpg

Thoughts???

Dave

Looking good Dave, Use 6" long for drawing out to about 18" overall, up to 8" for tongs used in gas forge,

This will reduce the weight but still be strong enough, and make the handles look more in proportion, I think the comments about drawing them out longer is because they look chunky, Chunky's good (I tell myself if I pass a mirror)

You are coming on fine

I've made four or five other pair in four years so you couldn't exactly say I was expert at it! :lol:

I do tend to over-do things a bit. The last pair I had though, tended to bend if I was holding something really tight or if the tong got a little too hot. So this time I went with something quite a bit thicker.

Thanks for the complements!
Dave

Nice tongs Dave. I like the "mass" of the reins and know what you mean about the lighter ones "giving' a little.

Now, put the guts back in the ice cream freezer and exercise yer blower crankin' arm for something cold and tasty. :D I'll send you my Mom's Vanilla Ice Cream recipe if you need it. :lol:

"Thoughts?"

Dave,have you burnt/overworked the top jaw,in the first picture?(Sure looks like it,i've a 2-3 sets under the forge with the jaw missing...)?

Just in case,even if i'm wrong,there's no need to transition so abruptly.It's always best to "fillet" the corners(much like the other trades,the reason-stress risers).

Otherwise-solid,workable tongs,should last a while.Good going!