I Forge Iron

Can you identify this Green River vice and swage block?

I have no idea why I bought this a few years back but it is time to get it out of my way. It has "Green River No. 8" imprinted in the vice and has a foot lever.

I assume it would have been used for blacksmithing.

Would anyone have any history on this item and how much would I be able to expect to sell this thing for ?

Thanks,
Pete

post-13469-12696195658215_thumb.jpg

post-13469-12696196028463_thumb.jpg

When I lived in New Hampshire I told people I was from Northern Maine. Made it easy as no one seemed to know where New Brunswick Canada is.

So do you know what this would have been used for? Is it a general purpose blacksmithing vice or does it have a specialized use?

Thanks,
Pete

Hi and welcome, location really seems to be the determining factor on price for these . So where are ya at?
Chris

that is called a step vice.. they are a bit rare as far as i have read I would love to buy it but the postage would kill it as i live far over in Denmark.. :( they are very handy to have when forging.

Id give it a go with a powered wire brush and then coat it with some oil and take some good photos and get some dimensions and then post it on E-bay it will fetch more if people can see what condition it is in.

DC

Pete,

DCL is right about the name. While it can be used for general smithing, it was made for the farrier trade. The swage block portion was for putting cauks in horse shoes. There has been vises like yours on Ebay as well as other makers but I don't remember what they brought. Price will depend on whether you find a collector of tools or if you find working smiths that want it. Nice looking tool, good luck.

Brian

peterng,
Your vise is what's known as a caulking vise up in New England. The swage block you have in it was used for shapeing caulks on horse shoes. If you notice though you can remove that block and below it on ratchet like teeth is another block whoes hand screw can be loosened and positioned virtically at a multitude of different hiegths.When the caulking swage is removed and replaced with bolt heading dies the lower block is positioned to support the bottom end of the bolt while upsetting the head in the die. The vise portion was used to help speedily bend heel caulks useing the foot peddle.

I suspect that yours was in the western Mass. area as the name Green River was one of the many names used by the Greenfield tool co. in and near Greenfield ,Mass.

Doc

I picked up one a couple of yrs ago slightly differant. It has a floating jaw. Great for twists no winding the handle. Do NOT get any part of you in the jaws. Made new CR jaws
for it. Went to move it( about 100 lbs) grabbed the jaws and it SLAMMED shut. Got both palms. paid about $250 for it. Have seen them up to $550 down here. Location is key
as shipping would be high. Best to find a local buyer if ya can.
Ken

Pete, a wire brush and a little dressing, I like LPS-3 spray oil for protecting iron/steel from rust, it leaves a nice coat of tough wax that penetrates darned near any and everything it's sprayed on.

I've heard of them being called "kick vises" but were I you, I'd call it what the guys have already said it's called, they're in the neighborhood and do the work unlike myself.

As a thought for making something like one of these for the average blacksmith, say DCL. I've been thinking of making one using an heavy truck, air brake can to apply squeeze. If I had a third post vise or one needing a screw, handle, etc. I'd convert it in a heartbeat. As it stands I'll probably build one from scratch once I'm back up to project mode.

Think about having a vise that closed in a couple miliseconds when you step on a pedal, throw a lever or otherwise engage the air. Then when you let off the pedal, close the valve or whatever, the vise jaws open just as quickly. This is going to be my upsetting vise once I get back to project mode.

Just another Frosty thought for ya guys. ;)

Frosty the Lucky.

Ah Frosty, making a foot actuated air vise seems like a recipe for flat fingers! Just don't want to be calling you Lefty the Lucky...

That's a natural fact Thomas and something I've been thinking about. I have everything necessary to build one but have held off for several years just because it's such a dangerous piece of equipment. I may never have a close call but I'm not the only person allowed in my shop so I need to consider folk who might not recognize it for what it is.

The same potential danger holds for any foot actuated tool from mechanical like the foot vise pictured in this thread to a treadle hammer to any power hammer that's live, be it a pneumatic utility hammer or my 50#LG if it's power's on. Accidentally stepping on a foot control is something I'm always thinking about.

Frosty the still Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Frosty I generally don't have my hands near the dies on a powerhammer when it's "live"---folks cleaning the scale off with their hands are just plain LOCO! But when I'm using a vise I often have my hands close in for one reason or another.

I's all fun and games until you need to be fitted for a hook! ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I agree Thomas, it's Darwin Awards foolish to put any body part in the line of fire of an active piece of machinery. Same with a vise powered or not, I don't think I've EVER put a finger between the jaws of a vise though I have been pinched by pieces as the jaws closed on them.

As an added safety feature I'm thinking placing a hinged cover over the pedal should remove the chances of accidently closing the vise. The same basic idea as the safety covered switches, flip up the cover and move the switch. The pedal would have a cover that protects the pedal from any contact, top, sides or ends until the operator puts his/er toe under the little tab and lifted the cover clear and then stepped on the pedal. A spring return would prevent someone from just leaving the safety cover up.

Like any tool, being aware of it's characteristics and potential dangers is up to the operator, as is making sure it isn't a booby trap for visitors or newcomers. Seriously, how many of us have gottem blood blisters from work slipping out of a pair of tongs and having the reins pinch a finger or other hand part?

Frosty