I Forge Iron

Possible new shop

cavala

Well I went to look at a new shop this morning. It's big and closer to home and cheap. They have two units available one with a bathroom and large office and one without the office and bathroom. The price for the office bath is 50% more. I could have a bathroom put in the other unit at my expense or they would do it if I sign a long term lease. It's not plumbed for water so I'm not sure what's worth it in the long run. I can sweat copper lines for water no problem but connecting to the sewer line Ive never done.
What do you guys think go the easy route with the bath. Try to put one in myself. Or sign a five year lease and have them do it.
Thanks Marc

If you look at writing off the rent as a deductable business expense then I would rather be kicking out work and bringing in money than sweating copper pipes and digging trenches for free.
Don`t know your landlord at all but around here if YOU put in the bath and/or office you could bet sooner or later(probably when the current lease ran out) the new lease(and rent) would reflect the fact that a bath/office was included.

What Bob said plus this-
I have been involved in situations like this before and have been burned- If you have the time and inclination- do the plumbing BUT sign a long term lease with options in your favor. Value your time as a prepaid lease amount and write that into the lease or at least figure the lease/ rent increases based on that. Basically you are giving your landlord a loan (your time) You should be compensated for that with interest.

I once put a small shed/shop on a piece of property I was renting. The owner loved it. He loved it so much, he shut down what I was doing in it and evicted me. THEN he said I had to leave the building. HUH! I took it apart and sold it for what it cost me to build it....

I vote go for the workshop with office and bathroom included, but of course that's just me, I'd rather spend time blacksmithing.

If you took on the workshop that needs the work doing, Would it really be worth it once you've worked out your costs, ie your time and materials costs for undertaking such a project, and who knows what unforeseen problems which might occur... Connecting to sewer lines (ewww)!??? :unsure: Perhaps call in a professional, get a quote and work out if that would be cost effective in the long run. You say it doesn't even have water going in at all, I would think there would possibly be a major expense getting it hooked up?

Just some thoughts.

Don't put in the bathroom I don't know what building codes you have but I bet it similar to Ohio's. First of all you are going into a commercial Building That falls under State building inspections. Besides that a State certified Architecture has to drawn plans then they have to be approved and a State building permit. To do any commercial plumbing in any State you have to be licensed. If you try to do it on the sly and get caught they will red flag the job and shut you down. I would check with the Building inspection office before I did any thing.

Besides all that I agree with everyone else sounds like the landlord is making the better deal.

Is there any way you can buy a chunk of dirt, and put up your own building?

My shop closed because the building we were in was sold. Guy came in and told us "I just bought the building. I am moving in on the first-you have 30 to vacate." <_< We were not able to find another suitable location that was in out budget, so we closed up.

Buildings, and land, are pretty affordable at this current time. Check around, you may be surprised.

Well 50% more is alot of money.
I spoke with a contractor friend and he's got a toilet sitting around and said it would prolly take us one day to scab into the line. There is a bathroom on the other side of the wall so it's not like I'm need to build the aquaducts or anything.
I did get a text from the owner last night wanting to hash out the deal time for negotiation to begin.
My lease is up in two months so I have plenty of time to get things done and move. I can squeeze 25 hours a day in a crunch

Get everything in writing from the landlord and contractor, including what happens when your lease is renewed. Also make sure that there is common water for the building, and not metered water per unit.

I've been in the one meter for several properties deal, and it doesn't work out nice.

Best of luck.

Phil

Get everything in writing from the landlord and contractor, including what happens when your lease is renewed. Also make sure that there is common water for the building, and not metered water per unit.

I've been in the one meter for several properties deal, and it doesn't work out nice.

Best of luck.

Phil

Well water is a paid utility from the landlord. I do think this place is good, a little smaller than where I'm at now but I currently share with another person so this will be all mine. A little exciting but also another reson I don't want to take on too much more a month ya know just in case.

I am with BIGGUNDOCTOR. Don't rent a shop if there is anyway you can buy. I gave my first commercial landlord $76,000 and he booted me, with little notice when someone else offered more. I will never rent a shop again. It is a form of voluntary slavery.

I look at it the same way as with a house, if you can buy you are better off than renting. I would guess that you could find a building for sale in your area. Here in the Southwest I see buildings all the time now with the for lease signs down, and the for sale signs up. I bought a house on 2AC so I could have room for a shop later, and not have to rent.

Get with a real estate agent, and do some investigating. As for the other landlord, he can probably wait, because if that area is like most places he isn't getting inundated with offers to rent. The building my current employer vacated is still vacant a year later.It is a buyers market at this time.

I have a friend who found a building to rent with no bathroom or office and the rent was cheap. So he went out and found a small travel trailer to put on the site and when he left he just took it with him. It could also pay off if your in the dog house with your woman and needed a place to stay for the night. :lol: