I Forge Iron

A couple new projects

I LIKE them Johnny!

It looks like you drew the necks and forged the heads then spread the tail and chiseled off the wings leaving the feet. So did you forge the feet and legs then insert them into a brightly hot duck bod and let it shrink to an interference fit? Maybe brazed instead, that'd be a lot easier eh? Well, that's how I think I'd start making the ducks, what I'd end up doing is anybody's guess of course. Still. B)

The door knocker is terrific though I don't see the looney.

These two pieces are really SWEET, the tractor seat stool is nice too but not in their league by a fair margin.

All in all, a hearty well done johnny!
Frosty the Lucky.

Hey Johnnie,

Now that work is just ducky! (sorry - couldn't resist).

I'm with Frosty, the seat is fun but I'm liking your forge work more.
I will say though, with that seat being JD yellow & green, I got a buddy of mine who would abscond with it in a heartbeat!

Here is how I make the ducks. I start by splitting the 1/2in stock back 1in, then split the top half a inch. The way I split the top half is by taking my hot cut and hit down on the top half until there is about 1/6th inch of metal is left, then I put it in my vise vertical and take a chisel and finish the cut. Next, I spread the 2 arms for the wing. Then flatten the wings and the tale. The next step, draw out the head and the neck at the same time keeping the drawn out piece the diameter you want the head. On the horn of the anvil draw out your neck, after you draw out the neck use the horn and make the beek. After some filing and chiseling (tale feathers) you have a duck. The feet are made out of 3/32 tig wire. Heat the tip of the wire and flare it out, then file shape of the foot. Drill a hole in the body of the duck for the feet to seet in. I used silver solder, but it didn't work as well as I would have liked. So that is the duck in a nut shell, if you have any questions feel free to message me.

Here is how I make the ducks. I start by splitting the 1/2in stock back 1in, then split the top half a inch. The way I split the top half is by taking my hot cut and hit down on the top half until there is about 1/6th inch of metal is left, then I put it in my vise vertical and take a chisel and finish the cut. Next, I spread the 2 arms for the wing. Then flatten the wings and the tale. The next step, draw out the head and the neck at the same time keeping the drawn out piece the diameter you want the head. On the horn of the anvil draw out your neck, after you draw out the neck use the horn and make the beek. After some filing and chiseling (tale feathers) you have a duck. The feet are made out of 3/32 tig wire. Heat the tip of the wire and flare it out, then file shape of the foot. Drill a hole in the body of the duck for the feet to seet in. I used silver solder, but it didn't work as well as I would have liked. So that is the duck in a nut shell, if you have any questions feel free to message me.

Thanks for the how to Johnny, very Much appreciated. I'm going to really enjoy giving some ducks a shot.

Frosty the Lucky.

I have duck hunted all my life and you have just given me something to strive for . I love the tree and ducks, one of the best ideas I have ever seen put into smithing, but loving ducks as much as I do I am a little bias. Great job!!!