I Forge Iron

Musical Instruments

some of the wood wind family would be easy.....The flut is basicly a series of finger holes, an oval shaped ohle on one end(that is capped off). That may be something cool. A lot of your other instruments have valves, reeds, mouth pieces, pads, etc.

There are a lot of percussion items too....the triangle, symbol, cow bell (worked for Blue Oyster Cult "Don't frea the reaper"...)

There is also a weird thing called a sistrum(not sur eof spelling. It looks sort of like a tennis racket with things in it that rattle. Used mostly for rituals. Pretty old instrument if I remember correctly. You would have to check it though.

I have thought it would be fun to forge our a big Kazoo...by big I mean about 8 times the actual size, and make it workable with an air hose attachment. That is in the pile with my big mouse trap and every other small item I think would be cool made out of steel a lot bigger.

Good luck with it.
Peyton

Hanging chimes, from hollow section suspended from a forged frame, can be tuned by altering length, and struck with a forged striker.

Many years ago I made some handchimes for a group at my daughters school, all they consisted of was a piece of 1" square thin wall (Speed frame)tube, of varying lengths, which they held with one or two hands,

a 1/8" wide slot was cut in through opposite sides which vibrated to give resonance when struck with a rubber covered striker, the length of the slot giving the note's frequency

the striker was attached to the body of the tube by a rubber band so that when the tube was raised or lowered rapidly (once) the rubber struck the (not split) side and a note was emitted

Google "handchimes" and there are pictures and links to you tube videos of them being used.

With the references to jew's harps and kazoos and being an old Jean Shepard fan I can almost hear a chorus of when the Saints Come Marching In playing in the background.

I'd agree that a good jew's harp cold be forged.

Excelsior,
Ted

Next door at anvilfire is a demo/blueprint of a Treble Cleaf (we NEED 'spell-check here!:) ) I have made these and the really cool thing is that no matter where you strike the 'bell' you get a different note. I made one for a lady a few years back and played a real song on it before I handed it to her. She was real impressed...kinda suprised myself too :rolleyes: