I Forge Iron

A different bottle opener

Well since I have been so busy recently, I figured I better do some playing, and work on some techniques. I took a different tack on Mark Aspery's wizard head bottle opener, and this is what came out today. I had a chance to make some different tools for features, and tried them out. Funny how fast you forget how to do things, it felt like I had never made one.

post-4158-12660022635461_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

well I figured since I was gonna be seeing Mark Aspery soon, I'd better get some practice time in, been really busy with a biiiig party for Mem day, 120 people showed, sooooo I decided to go try a new bottle opener out, now as you all know, when you don't do somethin for a while, it seems to have faded from your memory exactly how to do it right. In any event, this was the one that reminded me of all the wrong ways to do it, but I didn't have the heart to pitch it in the pile out back, I tested it last night on a Dos Equis, and it works, so even though it's a screw up, welll you know, time and sweat and all that, but you can see where I'm going with this design!!

post-4158-044022600 1275833140_thumb.jpg

well I figured since I was gonna be seeing Mark Aspery soon, I'd better get some practice time in, been really busy with a biiiig party for Mem day, 120 people showed, sooooo I decided to go try a new bottle opener out, now as you all know, when you don't do somethin for a while, it seems to have faded from your memory exactly how to do it right. In any event, this was the one that reminded me of all the wrong ways to do it, but I didn't have the heart to pitch it in the pile out back, I tested it last night on a Dos Equis, and it works, so even though it's a screw up, welll you know, time and sweat and all that, but you can see where I'm going with this design!!

look at it like this even large corporations like levi denim still sell some of their screw ups. they call them factory seconds. so...screw ups that are still functional...the steel just had different plans than you did. as you said it still opens a bottle so go with it.

a famous sculpture once said he didn't make the form from marble he just chipped away all the stone that didn't belong on the finished piece. working metal can be the same. we just pouind the etra steel out of the way of out finished product.

(if any of this sounds a little out there, forgive me, im a bit drunk tonight.)

• 5 months later...

so a lady saw my bottle opener at a recent demo and just flipped, so she asked me to make her 5!! she said she would give them as presents to her husband and his 5 hunting buddies. And we have a fundraiser auction comin up, so I figured I'd make a few, still not really good at it, I keep the one I got in Mark Aspery's class on my wall, to have something to shoot for, but all in all, they will bring in some tool money!!

post-4158-0-73213900-1289582644_thumb.jp

Divermike,

Really nice job on the bottle opener. Great detail. You give me something to shoot for. Tomorrow morning I will try and make one.

Charles Caleb Colton once said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Hopefully I can attempt to imitate your work. :)

Mark<><