I Forge Iron

The ubiquitous rose

Sukellos

I've been working, as I get time, on a headboard for my granddaughter's bed. Her name is Rose. Here are the two capitals that will go on the bedposts. I haven't put any kind of a finish on them yet as I haven't decided how I'm going to finish them. I may end up hand painting each blossom and all of the vines.

post-12173-12657550635542_thumb.jpg

post-12173-12657550649258_thumb.jpg

post-12173-1265755066058_thumb.jpg

post-12173-12657550671808_thumb.jpg

Really nice job! How big are they?

The blossoms are about 3" dia. and 2" high.

The parts they're attached to are made from 2" EMT. I sanded off the galvanization, heated the ends and bent them inward with light taps until I could fit a fender washer in the hole. The washer has a 3/8" hole in the middle. The rose "stem" goes through that and is tack welded inside. All welds are made with a wire feed (no gas) and sanded smooth.

This morning I welded the tops back onto the bedposts and sanded them smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

The blossoms are about 3" dia. and 2" high.

The parts they're attached to are made from 2" EMT. I sanded off the galvanization, heated the ends and bent them inward with light taps until I could fit a fender washer in the hole. The washer has a 3/8" hole in the middle. The rose "stem" goes through that and is tack welded inside. All welds are made with a wire feed (no gas) and sanded smooth.

This morning I welded the tops back onto the bedposts and sanded them smooth.

gj on the roses a friend of mine make roses also and what he does when he finishes them is put a little cotton ball in the middle that is soaked with rose oil so it smell like a real rose ttyl

sterling

gj on the roses a friend of mine make roses also and what he does when he finishes them is put a little cotton ball in the middle that is soaked with rose oil so it smell like a real rose ttyl

sterling

let me tell you about rose oil...first its expensive as all get out...20 bucks for a small sample type parfume vile full..1 drop is all you need..you put much more on it I guarrentee you will clear out the room...evidently it takes a 100 pounds of petals to make 1 lb of oil...I am not sure how much a pound of oil is...It is ver, very powerful stuff...so a soaked cotton ball would cost way too much and be so overwhelming...and if someone is allergic to roses they r in trouble...so you use 1 drop...and just smear it on the metal inside the flower...

nice roses ! ya are doin them the hard way (not usin precut petals) ! keep up the good work!

Akchually, I find this way to be easier. Less cutting, more hammering is the trade-off. Since all I have to cut with are one pair of curved shears and one pair of straight, I opt for less cutting. In fact, this way I tend to put more layers on and end up with a lot more petals.

let me tell you about rose oil...first its expensive as all get out...20 bucks for a small sample type parfume vile full..1 drop is all you need..you put much more on it I guarrentee you will clear out the room...evidently it takes a 100 pounds of petals to make 1 lb of oil...I am not sure how much a pound of oil is...It is ver, very powerful stuff...so a soaked cotton ball would cost way too much and be so overwhelming...and if someone is allergic to roses they r in trouble...so you use 1 drop...and just smear it on the metal inside the flower...

Our Rosie is a bit of a tomboy. Don't worry, her sparkles 'n' lace sister, Veronica, will take care to see that the room is well perfumed with girlie scents!

post-12173-12671437546767_thumb.jpg

post-12173-12671437556559_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No, they're made out of sheet metal. Probably about 16ga. It's scrap, of course. The tin cans are what I use to trace a circle onto the sheet metal. I cut out 4 or 5 discs for each rose blossom then I punch a 1/4" hole in the center of each disc. Each disc is cut into 4 or 5 sections with the cuts stopping short of the center hole, of course. I round off the sharp corners of each section and shape the petals using a small cross pein hammer and a metal ring over which I hammer the petals to cup them somewhat. The discs are stacked onto the stem which is 1/4" round rod with a boss welded on and forged to form the "receptacle" as it is called in horticulture. I rivet down the end of the stem to hold the sepals and petals in place and then use a propane or mapp gas torch to heat and shape the petals according to my fancy, using small tongs or needle nosed pliers.

Here are the parts of a rose http://www.ehow.com/...ose-flower.html

And this is the tutorial that I learned from courtesy of Mark Aspery, the BEST. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc24KB7u4oE&feature=related Watch parts 1 and 2
The vase was a piece of pipe, 1" or 1- 1/14? I used a guillotine fuller to neck down the base and did the rest over the anvil horn. The stem of the rose is arc welded in the small hole left inside of the base. My tiny forge won't hit weld heat so I arc weld on the stem collar too and then forge it out.

• 2 months later...