I Forge Iron

Stargazer Lily

Hello All,

Been a while since I've posted up anything on here, but thought I'd put up a pic of a Stargazer Lily I did a while ago that came back from the galvanizers recently. I took advantage of the lovely snowy but sunny weather to take some pics!

Flower is forged from 1mm sheet and stands 160cm tall, flower head is about 60 cm across. I did three more of these flowers slightly smaller, this one was the test piece. The others were powdercoated (customer's choice) and now in the hands of the customers. I didn't manage to get any pics of those ones yet as the ground was frozen so not possible to install the sculpture... :( Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the result and even happy with the galvanized finish on this. =)

post-1299-12651292910839_thumb.jpg

post-1299-12651293262221_thumb.jpg

post-1299-12651293985102_thumb.jpg

post-1299-12651294611635_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

You are just SO talented. I have seen a lot of your work posted here and always look forward to seeing more. I love the background scenery and as stated before, I'd find it hard to get any work done coz I'd be too busy admiring your beaut environment. Excellent work as usual.

Thanks again guys, have to say recently I've received a rejection from a possible outlet, and also been doing some self evaluation (criticism) with my work, wishing I'd use more traditional methods rather than relying on my MIG welder so heavily, so it's nice to hear some positives... Always good to strive to be better tho, innit? :)

and Chrispy, yep it can look good here, but right now it's blowing a gale outside with 55 mph winds battering the house, it's snowing and today i've been so busy with stuff (not blacksmithing.. grrrr) i've not had time to light a fire, so it's cold inside too... what is it they say, there's a price for beauty?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some pics of the Lilies as installed in my client's garden. :) Hard to tell from the photos but the powder coat colour they chose is actually a metallic, so it sparkles in the sunlight! Clients are happy, I'm happy!

Colleen,
Those are awesome!! I may have missed the text referring to powder coat earlier as I thought they were actually galvanized :D I used to work for a company that hot galvanized the finished product and I often wondered how an artistic piece would look dipped :)

Dodge, the photos of the Lily in the snow-the one at the beginning of the thread, that one is hot dip galvanized. The guy at the galv plant told me that the nice silvery finish will fade and dull over time, apparently they add aluminum to the mix so it looks "shiney". The only problem with the hot dip galv is that as you may know sometimes it comes out a bit rough with slag type bits of "stuff" that need grinding off- which can be a pain with intricate work.

The photos I just posted with the three together, those ones are galvanized, then powdercoated on top...

sorry about the confusion!! :)

Colleen, They are fantastic. I wish they were in my yard. They'd be quite a talking piece. Are they an Asiatic lily ? They look very similar even to the same style of closed flower pod. Gorgeous work, I love them, along with all of your work.
Keep it up.
Cheers, Chrispy :)

• 3 months later...