I Forge Iron

My shop, new forge and first projects

Finally got my garage/shop in order and after a few years I've accumulated enough tools to get started.

4257246852_f5a690a4c1.jpg

Two burner "Blacksmith" model from Diamondback Ironworks... very happy with this forge!
4257246866_fce4f5b6bb.jpg

I didn't make any of these tongs, the red ones were rescued from the old waterworks plant in Chatham, Ontario which was in operation from the turn of the century until the 60's. A previous employee didn't have the heart to see them sent to the scrap yard and he saved them before the plant was demolished. He also wanted them to go to someone who would use them and NOT an antique dealer...lol.
4257246858_6e052c7ed0.jpg

Picked this up from a local farrier... I have now idea who made it though.
4257246862_b4b12051ee.jpg

Here's my first two projects in my OWN shop.... :P

Leaf key ring bob...
4257246882_102657b8e7.jpg

BBQ made from railroad spike...
4257246884_36d2294afe.jpg

4257271132_341ed3c606.jpg

Hope I posted these pics ok.... looking forward to all this forum has to offer!

Paul

Nice shop! I like your floor, man that is so cool looking laying the block that way. Good idea stacking the brick to protect the wall of the shop too. Have you thought of installing a hood over the forge to vent the hot gasses outside? Maybe a good idea for a future project and then you could do charcol or coal too. Nice leaf and fork you got going there. I'm pleased to see that your a rescuer of tools too, keep it up for the next generation.

Thanks everyone!

Bent... I was thinking of a hood, but this is only day two of having things up and running...lol. There is a ceiling vent almost directly above the forge and I do have a C02 detector in the garage. It has gone off once each day so far, but I just open the door a bit wider and the alarm stops beeping. I might try a fan just below the ceiling vent (blowing up and out) and see if that makes a difference.

BTW... the other half of my shop has hardwood flooring! It was removed from a school gymnasium in 4x8 sheets with two layers of 3/4" plywood underneath... both the brick and flooring were no cost and that's a price I can never pass by...lol!
21051_256009781920_606876920_3920105_470

Hi Paul,
Nice looking first shop and forge work. Brick floor is something I'm adding to my shop,even as we speak.
Enough with the nice stuff. From the photo's you may want some air space behind the brick around your forge.
The O.S.B board on the walls has a high flame-spread, when used on walls. Not being mean but I get a lot of work repairing fire damage. Many happy trips to the anvil and keep posting.

Nice looking shop but please read the first post on this page today about man losing shop to fire posted by territorialmillworks. Please consider covering the wood walls with a fireproof barrier and install a sprinkler system if at all possible!!!!!! By the way I hate unplanned fires!! With due respect; Armand