I Forge Iron

Vintage Anvil

Hi ,I know nothing about anvils in my back yard I have a very old anvil its been there a very long time the house was built early 1700,I tried to wire brush the scrip on it and all I can make out is the last 3 letter OLE would anyone have a clue who made this anvil? Thanks dan

And don't mess with it too much - don't take a grinder to it or anything crazy like that.... leave it alone and post some photos, perhaps tell us what your plans are. You want to do some smithing yourself or just looking for a value and plan to sell it?

Post measurements as well - length, height, width, dimensions of the rectangular surface, etc...

That's a nice looking anvil. So when are you going to start smithing? I guess sometime after the spring thaw, man that looks cold to me. Follow the previous advice and don't take a grinder to that anvil. That seems to be one of the most common mistakes of first time smiths is the thought that the face and edges of an old anvil need to be as sharp and smooth as a new one, not so. That anvil is old and had some use so when you take a grinder to it you are just taking years of future service away from it. Also don't let someone talk you into getting some of the dings welded up and repaired, it looks good to go as it is. Good fortune and happiness in you smithing.