I Forge Iron

hidden door latch or trick door latch I need one

Rcrew

I have a door that goes from the retail part of the store into my shop and I need a latch or lock that will keep my customers out of the shop. Locking it with a simple lock is to much trouble because we go back and forth so many time a day. Any body got any ideas?

Ya got 3 ways. push button electromagnetic,fingerprint reader,optical scanner. Hows your expense acc? 4th would be a sign authorized personel only subject to arrest. Do it to the first. word gets around. Friend has a sign on his gate."Pit Bull can make the gate in3.2 sec. Can you?" Good luck.
Ken

Lee Valley tools has a childproof kitchen/bathroom cabinet latch that is actuated by a knob that is a magnet. Maybe you could buy that and adapt it to you use. Another option is to put a latch in a hidden place or that operates in a counter intuitive method like a knob you have to pull rather than rotate on a door you push. The business next door to my shop has an old stamped sheet metal suffolk latch on their front door which is a door built into a big sliding door, it is amazing how many people come into my shop because they cannot figure out how to get into the neighbours shop. I think an employees only sign is probabaly a good idea as well, but I don't think threatening customers is good for business

I have installed magnetic locks on doors for the same reason. The employees carried a key fob similar to a car remote and as they approached the door, they would push the button and the door would be unlocked when they got to it. Otherwise it stayed locked all of the time. You must realize the hazards involved in the installation of the magnetic door locks and take those into consideration when considering the total cost. Installation can be time consuming but, not real difficult.
Jerry

Be careful that you do not run afoul of building / fire codes by having the door (possible fire escape) locked.

I would post a large sign saying Do not enter, employees only, hearing, and eye protection required beyond this point. And if possible have the doorway out of the main area of operation; IE behind a counter, etc.. Why are they entering the shop? Do they think it is a bathroom, can't find someone to help them? If it is because they do not see anyone, and hear things on the other side, have a buzzer that they can ring to get your attention.

In devices used in magic tricks hidden latches are commonly used.

Please pardon my crude drawing, I have not mastered Sketchup yet, no matter how much I tried (I even bought the Dummies book but it only showed the basics :( )

The hidden latch I suggest is basically a Sulfolk type latch where you would bend the thumb part down and hide it within the door covered with a matching block of door/wood. An added spring pushes the latch back into locked position.

19807.attach

Old style mortise locks can be hidden into a door and your employees can carry a simple shape key to open it, square or hexagon would be my choices. The backside can have a regular knob on it.

"Keyless" entry locks are reasonable in price now. Lowes lists options starting at $100 and going to about $500.

If the signage is respected then all the better. Having a counter or railing on one or both sides of the door will help with the "authorized personnel only, safety equipment required" concept. Have the door opaque, and if you want visibility to your customers, then put a window in. Solid or opaque doors are not as welcoming, we walk through glass doors everyday at stores, shops, schools, whatever, etc. If you have clear glass in the door, put some contact paper on it so it is frosted (cheap), or replace the glass with frosted glass (professional).

Good luck with the ornery customers.

Phil

The Hardware Hut - Product #KAB-5021XKWL-26D-41 - KABA Ilco Simplex 5000 Series Heavy Duty Mechanical Push-Button Door Lockset (Dull Chrome)
kab-5021xkwl-26d-41.jpg

I would visit my local locksmith (or building materials recycle store)
for something like this.

It's simple and fully mechanical.
It's entirely possible that they have used units available from somebody upgrading to the electronic models.

Yes they are expensive new, but they are a commercial quality lock made to last repeated and constant use.

We just changed a residential quality lock at home because the knobs were only staked on sheet metal and pulled off.

a sign like this may deter people I found this at work one day after the gouging was complete it was thrown out and now i am recycling it to a location in my shop

Not a bad idea Clinton unless it's someone like ME reading it. I'd want to gear up and watch! Then again probably not if I thought you might put me to work.:rolleyes:

Frosty

If you are worried about a lawsuit due to customers wandering into the wrong area then $500 on proper security is a whole lot less money, even if it is a months profits.

Phil

You got that right Phil. If you've spent that much on proper security you'll make it back in under a year in insurance savings. I have class II deadbolts on the house and they save us about $400 a year in insurance premiums.

Frosty

how about "Rabid Hyena Containment Area" ? think that might work? or "Random flows of Septic waste"? ... Seriously, " Intermittent Invisible Blinding Laser Radiation, Proper Eye protection Required to Prevent Blindness" would be my choice... and Yes I have seen one like that.. and no I don't know if it was true.. but I would pay a lot of attention to that one...

I am pretty curious... but... why take chances...